AP
Posted By
Amy_Pendry
Jul 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have photoshop 7 on my macintosh OSX and i’m having trouble transferring the pictures from my mac to my PC, which is windows 98, and keeping the background transparent. I am trying to put the pictures into powerpoint on my PC with a transparent background, but everytime i change the file into a jpeg or a bitmap to go onto my pc i lose the transparent background to just a white background and I can’t figure out how to keep it. Does anyone know how i can keep the transparent background?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jul 25, 2004
Does Powerpoint support transparency? I don’t think so.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 25, 2004
Jpeg doesn’t support transparency on any platform and I don’t think bmp does either. Actually not sure about using bmp in PP. Try png or gif for Powerpoint.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 25, 2004
Powerpoint does support transparency and there’s even a way to fake it for files that don’t, but they will look like crap.
AP
Amy_Pendry
Jul 25, 2004
Thanks for the replys, but is there a way to make the files such as jpg or btmp transparent backgrounds or am i stuck with white? and powerpoint does support transparency? How?
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
Thanks for the replys, but is there a way to make the files such as jpg or btmp transparent backgrounds or am i stuck with white?

No there isn’t; and yes, you are. Can you use TIFFs?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 25, 2004
Why not resave those files in another format, such as png?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
In PowerPoint X, you do have the option to designate a particular color as transparent but it needs to be a solid color. You can also use Photoshop’s Save for Web to make transparent Gifs which can be inserted into PowerPoint.

I don’t think that earlier versions of PP permitted transparancy.

You might find it a lot easier to composite your transparent-background image with the background that you need in Photoshop and then place the final combined image into PowerPoint.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 25, 2004
Right,that transparency option is what I was referring to. And it was available in earlier versions too. But I have to warn you, it can look very ragged and ugly. See the tutorials below:

< http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com/powerpointtransparency. htm>

< http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com/powerpointtutorials.htm>

Where I work we do a lot of Powerpoint stuff on Mac, though fortunately I am not involved with much of it. Everyone has learned to curse at PP X and often they go back to PP 97 in Classic.
AP
Amy_Pendry
Jul 25, 2004
Yes, thankyou, i will first try to save them as different files
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
Everyone has learned to curse at PP X and often they go back to PP 97 in Classic.

Well, I have Office 2004 but I have never even launched any version of Power Point, so I can’t vouch for how PP 2004 behaves nor how it compares with previous ones. The reviewer in the August 2004 issue of MacWorld seems enthusiastic about the new version, calling it "an excellent upgrade that delivers helpful tools for presenters, crisper graphics and an improved workflow, should more than satisfy current users, and may even entice a few Keynote adopters to switch back."
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
My problem is that I really resent having to buy Microsoft’s upgrades and wait until it becomes essential before I do. Next year’s introduction of Tiger may well be such a time.

On the other hand, my order for Adobe upgrades goes in almost before they finish uploading the announcement that they are accepting orders….
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
Ann,

I really resent having to buy Microsoft’s upgrades and wait until it becomes essential before I do.

I feel the same way about all upgrades of software and hardware. I held on the old Frankenmac G4 machine and Mac OS 9.2.2 until Photoshop 8 came out.

MS Office 2004 was a free upgrade for me, though. I can’t pass up a freebie.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 25, 2004
I don’t know what since I haven’t used it but there are some basic functions that used to work well in the older version that don’t work at all in the new one, so I hear muttering. Apparently it’s a known issue that MS admits to.

On the rare occasions that I have used PP I have found it to be needlessly clunky.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
It IS clunky for anyone who is used to professional image-handling tools but it seems to be a sufficiently easy application for nine-year-olds (and the average office worker!) to learn.
(Lots of buttons to click-on. And that cute <GROAN> Paperclip jumping-in to help….)

;~)
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
🙂 Thanks for that insight, Ann. I’m glad I’ve never used that application.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
It really is a grand tool for nine-year-olds.

I taught one how to use it in a single morning.

She produced a splendid PP version of her Term Project (complete with sound effects and transitions!) and now her school teaches PP to that age-group — and encourages all students to turn in projects as PP presentations.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 25, 2004
Now that you mention it, my ten-year-old had to work on a PP presentation with his classmates last year. So if I ever need to use it I know who to go to for tech support.
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
LOL!
AP
Amy_Pendry
Jul 27, 2004
Wow this is awesome it worked! Thankyou everyone for your help…. i went to that powerpoint tutorial, saved it as a png, got rid of the background layer and then in powerpoint i changed the background of the picture to transparent, 🙂
Thankyou everyone!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections