SS
Posted By
Srivaths_Sankaran
Jan 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having trouble getting results following the instructions on Red-Eye elimination.

I am trying to correct the "White-eye" from an image of my dog. Here’s what I have done:

* Select the red-eye Brush Tool
* Via the options panel

* Set the target color to first click
* Set the replacement color
* Set the tolerance to 30%
* Selected a 5px brush

* Clicked and dragged over the target area

No dice. The technique seems to work alright on the example in Mikkel Aaland’s book (PSE-2 Solutions) p. 56. In fact I don’t even have to drag (Step 3). I click once on the pupil (first click) and then again to have the color replaced.

What am I missing?

Sri

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 3, 2004
Hello Sri, I didn’t use the red eye correction for this one, <http://www.pbase.com/image/24513111>
I used the burn and dodge tools and got this,
<http://www.pbase.com/image/24513112>
I had to make copies, and try over and over again, and finally got a good result. I zoomed way in, so that I could paint very carefully and don’t use the 100% opacity. Jane

EDIT, I can see that I need to fix the highlight on her right eye, and work on the detail some more, but this is the first time that I have done this so that it looks good.
j
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 4, 2004
I have tried several ways of correcting "red eye" on photos of our cat … and then I realized that I had some photographs where her eyes were OK. So now I tend to seek out a similar pose and then change the eyeballs …….

Sounds painful 🙁 but it works 🙂

Wendy
JG
Julio_Guerra
Jan 4, 2004
Wendy’s method is the one that I use. I works well and I think looks better than trying to use the red eye brush.
Julio
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 4, 2004
Recently someone gave a way of doing Red Eye that I have found is fantastic … I have done a search but can’t find the thread and I don’t know who posted it either.

However I did write it down:

Select the Red Eye plus a few pixels and use feather (a little) Enhance>Colour>Hue & Sat>select reds from edit box …reduce saturation to zero or near
Enhance>Brightness>Levels
Bring in the left hand marker about a quarter of the way and adjust centre one to a suitable point May need to do each eye separate.

The original post explained it far better so if any one can find the thread please post it 🙂

Anyway I tried it on your dog photograph Jane and it worked really well … I had to do each eye as a separate adjustment but it only took me a few minutes. I will try it on my cat photos now and let you know if it works on them too.

Wendy
SS
Srivaths_Sankaran
Jan 4, 2004
Thank you all for your feedback. I will try it out.

Sri
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 4, 2004
Jane…wish I could show you what I did for your puppy’s eyes. I hope you don’t mind but I downloaded the picture so I could do some practice on "dog eye." I selected out his blown out pupils. I used a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Same way Wendy discribes in her post. Then I flattened the image, selected the pupils again and dodged. (This is somewhat overkill but those eyes are really blown out). Now that they are dark…might I say too dark…I take a paint brush with a brown color…and do a half moon in each eye (like the eye brigthening glamor technique someone was sharring a few months ago to pop the eyes). Next I take the smudge tool and do some smudging. Still not done. Now go to your glass buttons (If you have the Wow set, I used the dark gray glassfouth or so from last). Apply glass to selected pupil…you’ll have to scale it down. This gives a bit of a three dimension and gloss (or life) to the eye. To finish the job I make a seperate layer…put white on a small brush…put in a little highlight in the center of each pupil. And it’s all done.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 4, 2004
I forgot to mention that the reason the highligts are on a separate layer is because you’ll have to turn down the opacity to make them look natural.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 4, 2004
Terri,

That sounds fantastic … what a shame we can’t see it !

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 4, 2004
I’d e-mail it to her but I didn’t see an address when I clicked her name. I thought about putting the challenge clock in the picture and posting to the challenge site but Jane would have to okay that. I don’t want to step on any toes.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 5, 2004
Hi Terri, Oh, would I love to see Nicky’s eyes!
Just e-mail the picture to me at or put it on your album page. My e-mail should be listed here I think, but use either of the above. Anybody here has my permission to use any of my pbase pictures, no problem. I’m not a professional photog, as you can tell from my pictures, so any improvement on any of my stuff is totally welcome.
I am here to learn! Thats why I joined this forum.
Thanks,
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 5, 2004
Okay, he’s on his way. I sent it to the cape cod e-mail address. I hope you like it.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 5, 2004
Hi Terri, That is wonderful!! What a super job you did on her eyes, yes she is a girl, a little Springer Spaniel that one of our daughter’s best friends got out of a Boston dog pound. She is an exceptionally gentle little dog, and our kids babysit her all the time, as the friends travel a lot, and they bring her here too. She is very nice with our little grandkids.
We have 2 other female dogs, I am sure you have seen them on my pbase albums, and they all get along fine. During Christmas dinner we had 11 humans and 3 dogs eating turkey all in our tiny dining room.
Destroyed the turkey of course.

I am going to go thru your tutorial in detail tomorrow and see how well I can do this, practise and more practise.
Thank you!
Jane
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 5, 2004
Here is Nicky with eyes that look the way they should, thanks to Terri, <http://www.pbase.com/image/24817876>
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 5, 2004
Thanks Jane. I can tell from her expression that she’s a real sweetie. I can’t figure out what to do with that clock so this was a welcome sidetrack. If you have any questions, post back. By the way I don’t do the desaturation step Wendy does but I’m not sure it really matters since you need to get the eyes down to flat black matte before bringing them to life with a little paint work, and glass styles.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 5, 2004
Wow Terri … that is really good …

I have copied out your technique and will try it out … if I get stuck I will come back to you.

I too have no idea what to do with the clock … inspiration has not arrived this week 🙂 I think I may now wait until next week.

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 6, 2004
Wendy…glad to hear I’m not the only one whose creative juices just aren’t with the clock this week. I think I’ll be sticking with some of the side threads. That puzzle thread sounds interesting…of course I’ll have to locate my textures since I moved them to a photo folder. I saw that thread and was like "duh" that’s what that load texture option means. Just go basically off what I said…I kind of do things a little overkill. Heck, knowing me you could probably cut out 3 or 4 steps.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections