RC
Posted By
Ryan_Condict
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to take an image that is about 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches and cut it into about 6 puzzle pieces. I found tutorials about how to do this with the Puzzle texture Photoshop comes with but those peices are to small. So i created my own puzzle pieces in FreeHand (3 across and 4 down) then copied them into a photoshop document then saved the psd into the same folder as the puzzle texture Photoshop comes with saved as a new name. So I then load that texture using the texturizer but it is just taking the black outline and applying the scaling and relief to the outline of the puzzle pieces so it doesn’t look like a puzzle piece. Can anyone help me on how to fix this?

for a visual reference go here: <http://www.purdueexponent.org/DSC_0029.jpg>

you can reach me at

Ryan Condict

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 27, 2004
Is it dark lines on white like the one that comes with Photoshop, or is it transparent? Try flattening the psd.

What happens if you check Invert in the Texturizer dialog? Looks like it’s inverted already.
RC
Ryan_Condict
Jul 27, 2004
I did try that but it doesn’t seem to help any.

Ryan
Jul 27, 2004
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 28, 2004
Ryan,

Can you put a jpeg of your texture file up on the web? I can’t imagine that if it’s a grayscale image with dark lines on a white background why it’s not working. Maybe if we could see it we’d get an idea.

I did a quick crude one and it worked fine.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2004
Ryan:

I think that the problem is that jigsaw pieces are often stamped-out so each piece has a slightly cushioned or bevelled appearance.

You can recreate this by drawing paths for each piece, selecting and copying to a new layer with an attached Layer Effect.

Jigsaw effect <http://users.rcn.com/cameraart/Ann/DSC_0029_ann.jpg>

This is somewhat exaggerated so that you can see the effect and I can send you a layered PSD so that you can see what I did if you can let me have an email address.
(Post it in spider-defying mode such as "ryan at abc dot com")
RC
Ryan_Condict
Jul 28, 2004
Ed,
You can see the jpg of my texture here:
<http://www.purdueexponent.org/Puzzle2.jpg>

Ann,
You can set the psd here: adproduction at purdueexponent dot org

Thank you both for your help so far.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 28, 2004
Try blurring it a bit and saving as psd. Works okay for me.
RC
Ryan_Condict
Jul 28, 2004
Ed,

DId you just save it as a (flattened) .psd into the same folder as the originial. Then load it through the Texturizer? What settings did you use?

Just trying to figure out what stupid little mistake I am making.

Thanks!
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 28, 2004
I saved it flattened in the Textures folder and loaded it through Texturizer. It’s 300 ppi but I don’t think that matters because the others are 72.

I think this filter and others like it work on the same principle as displacement maps so they need a range of gray to give the illusion of depth.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections