KW
Posted By
Kirk_Wythers
Aug 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have several scanned maps (raster images) that I want to convert to vector files (essentially line art). The maps were scanned as black and white and saved as tiffs. The problem is that the background of the scanned maps was green. This came through in thee scans a tiny little irregular dots in between the lines (which I want to retain). Zooming in on the space between the lines shows these dots to be individual clumps of pixels 1 to 4 pixels in size. So I am looking for a way to "filter" out these pixels while retaining the line art.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kirk

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
progress
Aug 2, 2004
….try select by colour, or looking at the channels or changing the green to white…number of ways of doing it.

it depends on the image as to what knife is used to skin the cat.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 2, 2004
<< I have several scanned maps (raster images) that I want to convert to vector files (essentially line art). >>

You could try using something like Streamline or FreeHand’s tracing tool but I don’t know how well they will work with your image.

The way that I would do this would be to Place your scan in Illustrator and create new stroked paths (using the scan as a template).

The green texture which you are seeing in the background is almost certainly the screen-pattern from the original halftone art and will cause ugly moirés if you re-print it. You would do better if you replaced it with a new background.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections