RM
Posted By
Rick_Miale
Jan 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve decided to get a digital camera. My current camera is a Nikonos IVa that’s seen it’s share of use. I love it, but it’s not overly portable.

I’d like a decent camera to just take pictures with. I won’t be taking them professional, just shots of vacation, etc plus everyday use. Decided to go digital so I wouldn’t have to keep paying to get film developed.

Any recommendations? Something that I can fit in a waterproof case would be cool so I can sell the Nikonos. (That @#$#$ thing hit me in the head while on a surf trip this past Sept, left a NICE gash).

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 12, 2004
One of the best places to research digital cameras is at www.dpreview.com. There you will find opinions on the forums for the various camera manufacturers and reviews at the reviews section. I’d recommend exploring that site really well if you have the patience. Also, dcresouce, and stevescamera(?).

I almost hesitate to give you a recommendation without knowing more about your needs as there are so many choices and consideration. So, for what it’s worth, I’m a big fan of Canon cameras. For a point and shoot the A80 is very good. More money and control with the G3 or 5. Portability and less control with the small S400. I think the S50 is a very cool camera as well. As for a camera that won’t hurt as much when it hits you, I’d look at a good nerf camera. I’m not sure where you can find one though.

You might get a lot of opinions here, if folks aren’t already burnt out over this topic but you’d benefit from reading some camera reviews and comparing what you read against the range of use you looking at, and how much you want to spend (including accessories like extra memory, battery, case, card reader…)
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 12, 2004
So basically you want a point and shoot with maybe a little more control ? I’d say go the Kodak digital route for that. I would recommend the DX series for you;

< http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/9/1 9/131&pq-locale=en_US>

but they have many others so check the others as well. Kodak makes a great digital camera.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 12, 2004
There is a waterproof housing available for the s400. Don’t know about the other Canon models. Pricey, though.
SS
Susan_S.
Jan 12, 2004
The A60 A70 and I think the A80 (all canon) have canon-made waterproof housings available at not inconsiderable extra cost. There are no Canon housings for the G3 or G5 – only third party ones which cost more than the camera – and I’m not sure that I’d be game to immerse a camera that cost that much anyway!
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 12, 2004
I almost hesitate to give you a recommendation without knowing more about your needs as there are so many choices and consideration.

Good point Mark, but I’m going to throw one out anyway. 😉 Rick, I really like my new Kodak DX 6490. If you want to read a laboriously long review that I wrote here on this forum, check out this thread <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.2ccec593/12>.

Check out dpreveiws and Steve’s digicams for review before you buy anything. I also like to read what actual buyers have said about a particular camera so I always check out the reviews at Amazon.com.

Joe
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 12, 2004
Hi Rick, We have one too, U/W Nikonos 5 and got tired of carrying it about, yes it is heavy. For scenery we went with the Nikon Coolpix 990 several years ago, awesome camera great macro, but now added the CP 4300 cause it is light and easier to carry.
But for snorkeling, boating, and beach stuff, we now use the little Kodak U/W disposables on trips just because travel is easier when you leave behind your good camera equipment. You can put one of the cheap weatherproof things around your neck or wrist and if it gets smashed, you aren’t out much money, but you will take that disposable where you would not take your good camera, thus get pictures that you might not get otherwise. And you can always enhance and fix em up with PSE.
I do agree that you don’t get the great photos that we used to, but at our age we want less weight and less hassle.
Take a bunch of the disposables, and just one good small lightweight digicam. Jane
MM
Michael Moody
Jan 12, 2004
For great simpicity of operation, I like the new Kodaks, but after returning three of them (faulty) I settled on the 4mp Olympus Stylus 400. It’s weather resistant, not water proof and fits in your shirt pocket. Also, it’s light enough and has no sharp edges, so if it does hit you on the head, or elsewhere, it probably won’t leave any lasting dents. 😉

wrote in message
I’ve decided to get a digital camera. My current camera is a Nikonos IVa
that’s seen it’s share of use. I love it, but it’s not overly portable.
I’d like a decent camera to just take pictures with. I won’t be taking
them professional, just shots of vacation, etc plus everyday use. Decided to go digital so I wouldn’t have to keep paying to get film developed.
Any recommendations? Something that I can fit in a waterproof case would
be cool so I can sell the Nikonos. (That @#$#$ thing hit me in the head while on a surf trip this past Sept, left a NICE gash).
RM
Rick_Miale
Jan 12, 2004
Nerf camera, eh? 😛 Apparently you’ve not taken one to the mellon with a fully loaded IVa with a single strobe. 😀

I’ve bookmarked the links, the Canon A80 looks fairly sweet.
CR
Cater_Rent
Jan 13, 2004
I got the Minolta DiMAGE S414. It has 4.0 megapixels a 4x optical zoom lens, some okay manual features, and even some cheesy video/sound feature. They retail in stores (at least Target) for about $350 right now ($50 less than last summer). No, not waterproof. But, I think it’s a pretty good camera. It’s not super small, but I kind of prefer my camera to have a little weight. Not sure if I am at all helpful, but just thought I’d tell you what kind I got and that I am happy with it. My prediction is that once you get your new camera, you will then want a new printer!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 13, 2004
I believe the Minolta S414 is the camera used by forum regular Barb Wayne; she has created some awesome images with that camera!
CR
Cater_Rent
Jan 13, 2004
Yes, it is a cool camera. Good to know others have had success with it! One word of warning, you will need to buy a bigger memory card (128MB) as camera only comes with 16MB, also you will want to buy 4 rechargeable batteries and a battery charger. So, when I say camera costs about $350, that does not include all those other costs, plus the case, and later photo paper, etc. I think in the end it is a good deal though. I am very hooked on the whole digital thing now. Just don’t make my mistake of accidentally deleting some of your honeymoon pictures on your computer before you copied it to a CD!!!
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 14, 2004
Just don’t make my mistake of accidentally deleting some of your honeymoon pictures on your computer before you copied it to a CD!!!

Yikes!!!!
RM
Rick_Miale
Jan 14, 2004
I save everything several times. My daughter’s pictures are saved in 3 locations, as is all of my important stuff. You can never be too safe. I’ve gone so far as to copy all of the crucial pictures onto a DVD for off site storage.
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Jan 14, 2004
Thanks Chuck. The Minolta Dimage S414 is an outstanding camera for the money. Here’s <http://www.pbase.com/imacbarb/root> what kind of image quality this camera is capable of capturing. All the images, excluding the B&W Gallery, Photomerge Gallery and stuff made in PSE, were shot with the Dimage S414. I’m not sure it’s sized for surfing and don’t know about a waterproof case, but for land use I highly recommend it. There’s a link to a camera review site about the S414 listed at the top of my Botanical Gallery.

Barb
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 14, 2004
Barb,

I’m not knocking the S414, but I think your incredible images come as much from you as the camera. Maybe more. You’ve got an eye for composition and lighting that makes your images.

Joe
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Jan 14, 2004
Joe, that’s so nice of you to say that, thanks. You’ve captured some impressive images with your new Kodak as well, you know how much I loved your glass entries! We all have our favorite cameras and these companies should be thrilled with us promoting them like we do! There’s so many great ones to choose from, something for everybody!

Barb
CR
Cater_Rent
Jan 15, 2004
Barb,

Though I have yet to check out your work, I agree your success does have to do with your talent as well!

As for my experience with the Minolta, the only problem I have had (which could happen with ANY camera) is to get decent pictures of my husband’s band in a bar setting with all the odd lighting situations.
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 16, 2004
Barb,

What Joe said.

Shan
V
vidman
Jan 16, 2004
I agree about Canon Digicams, you can see all of them at "Powershot.com". Another feature you might want to consider, if you are a "newby" is that there is great tech support at Canon EST 8am-midnight M-F, and Sat. 10am-8pm. They speak English, they pick up the phone most times right away, and they have been super helpful in explaning how to do things. My hats off to them!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections