Posted By
Stephen_RH
Aug 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi.

Last January I purchased the Educational edition of Adobe Creative Suite for Windows. I now have a mac. Do I have to spend $400 again if I want ot have the suite for my new computer? Thanks for the help. I really really appreciate it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Aug 4, 2004
Stephen,

Call Adobe customer support for information on how to obtain a cross-platform license. You will have to destroy the PC version and sign the legal documents to prove it. I understand the cost is very reasonable.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 4, 2004
….and burn your Windows machine. <lol>

Stephen, this crossover is not uncommon. But do this through Adobe customer service as Ramón suggests so that you don’t pay more than you have to for the swap.

Neil
J
jonf
Aug 4, 2004
Beware of illegal copies, but if you need the application on both machines you could look for a second (Mac) version of Photoshop on eBay. There are a lot of resellers selling New-In-Box education versions at pretty good prices.
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2004
Which would be illegal if you don’t qualify as an educational user. If they were used, it would even be a violation of the EULA for the original buyer to resell it.
SR
Stephen_RH
Aug 4, 2004
So, does anyone know how much Adobe will charge me? Also, is it possible for me to use it on a Windows and Mac machine, or would that really cost a lot? Yes, I am a legit educational user. Thanks for teh help.
B
Buko
Aug 4, 2004
So, does anyone know how much Adobe will charge me?

call customer service they will tell you.
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2004
As Buko and I have said, call Adobe customer support to find out the charge for a crossover license.

Also, is it possible for me to use it on a Windows and Mac machine, or would that really cost a lot?

For that you need to have separate licenses for the full version of both the Mac and Windows software. No price break there.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
But the Educational versions are only about half the price of the Full versions for those that qualify—and you would be allowed an Upgrade on one of the packages.
SR
Stephen_RH
Aug 5, 2004
Well, I do not know what to do. I’m not sure if I want to abandon the Adobe CS on Windows so that I can have it on my mac. I don’t want to spend $400 to get an educational copy for my mac too. I guess I might have to stick to using Windows for Adobe CS. Oh well…

It is expensive being a Win & Mac user. haha

Thanks for everyone’s help.
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2004
It is expensive being a Win & Mac user. haha

Psychiatrist bills must be horrendous.
SR
Stephen_RH
Aug 6, 2004
So, what Adobe number do I call? I just tell them that I have switched to mac, and I want to know if I could convert my Adobe Education Creative Suite to a mac version?
R
Ram
Aug 6, 2004
So, what Adobe number do I call?

Check the Adobe Customer Service page. Click on "Support" at the top of this page where you are reading this message and follow the trail from there.

I just tell them that I have switched to mac, and I want to know if I could convert my Adobe Education Creative Suite to a mac version?

Correct.
H
halscheyer
Aug 6, 2004
I went through this process last fall when I bought a Mac in October. I now have my Mac and a PC with XP networked. If you have a choice, put Photoshop on the Mac along with your scanner. The Mac handles the drivers much better and PS has not crashed on the Mac since I installed CS. I still use the PC for some printing jobs (using Digital Image Pro for magazine covers), but I edit my pictures on the Mac and then send them to the PC if I need to.

Adobe customer support will tell you how to make the crossover. Be persistent if you have to be. I would suggest that you NOT buy a second-hand application that might be illegal or worse. Stick with Adobe, they will treat you right if you are persistent.
SR
Stephen_RH
Aug 8, 2004
Yes, on my very first call they helped me do this. They were very very nice! I was only charged for shipping. Thanks Adobe! Bye bye Windows, now I can enjoy the Creative Suite on Mac!

I just hope it doesn’t take too long to arrive. haha

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections