Is adding IPTC metadata to JPEG using file Browser lossey?

DS
Posted By
David_Strait
Aug 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is adding IPTC metadata to a JPEG image using the file browser a "lossey" operation (Photoshop CS for Mac)? I am sure that if you open the JPEG, add metadata, then re-save the image the process is lossey. It is unclear to me if using the file browser for this operation actually changes the image, or simply adds the metadata to the JPEG file without re-compression.

Thanks – Dave

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

IL
Ian_Lyons
Aug 6, 2004
David,

Think of it as being appended to the "file" rather than a component of the "image" (i.e. similar principle to the embedded ICC profile). It adds the data to the "file" without altering the "image". You don’t need to open or resave so there is no recompression.
DS
David_Strait
Aug 6, 2004
Thanks Ian
I was hoping that was the case…

I also did an experiment where I opened a JPEG, edited the metadata, saved and closed 10 times. On a duplicate image, I edited the metadata and "applied" the changes 10 times in the file browser. The file browser edit had no compression artifacts, while the one that I actually opened and closed had severe compression artifacts.

In the past, I always added metadata only after I saved the originals in PSD format. Now I will add metadata to the original images. It also has the advantage of being quicker to add metadata to a 1.5 meg JPEG, instead of a 30 meg PSD.

One disadvantage of adding the metadata to the JPEG is that I loose the thumbnail pictures (in the Finder, not in the file browser). Any thoughts on preventing that?

Dave

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections