JW
Posted By
jason_weiner
Jan 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Last year, Photoshop users were generally not in favor of using LCD monitors because Adobe Gamma could not calibrate them. I am wondering if that is still the correct view. I would like to get an LCD monitor but I don’t want to create Photoshop problems by doing so. Thanks in advance.
Jason

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 21, 2004
Calibration of an LCD continues to be more challenging than calibration of a CRT. Adobe Gamma still can’t be used, and I don’t know of any other software that gives reliable results. Some people manage to do well, but as far as I can tell, that’s mostly hit and miss. There are devices sold that can be used, but they run several hundred dollars. I got an LCD for Christmas, and it’s now just OK in terms of color, intensity, contrast, etc. Have you considered going to a dual monitor system so you can continue to use a CRT for images?
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 21, 2004
I guess I must be one of the "hits" because I really enjoy using my LCD monitor. And I used Adobe Gamma to set it up. The only thing I did not do was adjust the contrast to the maximum as instructed. I left the brightness and contrast set as I was comfortable with them and then went ahead and finished the calibration process. My prints match what is on the monitor very closely. I am satisfied the results.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 21, 2004
Jim, what monitor are you using ?
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 21, 2004
I didn’t purchase a very expensive one. I couldn’t afford what I really wanted and didn’t have space for it anyway. I’m just using a 15 inch Envision monitor. It’s at home, so I can’t give you the model number. But I purchased it at Staples a little more than a year ago.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 21, 2004
I think some people – like Jim – are just better at identifying which adjustments need to be tweaked; I don’t have a good eye for this stuff. My LCD is an Envision, too – the 19" model from Costco. What I eventually found was that it seemed to produce the best match between monitor and print when I left it on its own default profile. Go figure. I doubt seriously you’d have trouble with an LCD, Jodi, because you do have an excellent eye for color.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 21, 2004
I guess I had better tell you the rest of the story. After I calibrated the monitor and saved the profile, I opened Elements and the gray background had a red ttnt to it. So leaving Elements open, I ran Adobe Gamma again and adjusted the three colors until the background was neutral gray. Then I adjusted the brightness and contrast against the same background. I have been able to use the resulting profile now for several months without having to readjust it.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 21, 2004
Jim, thanks for the info. Seems you are a good tweeker. Beth, I’m thinking I’ll wait for the manufacturers of LCD to catch up or perhaps they wont and there will be more flatscreen CRT’s available. I really do like my monitor with Coloreal ICM…my prints are so close to the screen that I’m thinking it is near close to perfection but I have such a small viewing area.

Anyways, no rush…never 😉
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 21, 2004
I’m waiting for a new computer so I can hook up both monitors! (The one I have isn’t worth the investment in a new video card.) My flatscreen CRT is really nice for images, but the LCD is great for everything else. I’m going to wear out the carpet under the desk pretty soon, because I keep dragging the tower out so I can switch monitors when I change projects. 🙂
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 21, 2004
Beth,

Can’t you get a switch that’ll chosse between the two monitors? Surely there must be such an animal somewhere in cyber world.
CR
Chris_Rankin
Jan 21, 2004
Dick,
I would think that the video card would influence whether or not such a switch would be possible. My Nvidia card has two plugs for monitors and an S-video jack. For a card with a single plug you would need some kind of plug that has a double jack type deal (both monitors plug into that and it goes into the card jack) with a switch that you could select which monitor but I’ve never seen anything like that. Not sure how that would work either.

CR
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 21, 2004
Oh, I saw Dick’s post earlier and forgot to respond. I did wonder about something like that, but most of those devices are just pricey enough so I don’t want to invest in one – even if such a thing existed. I’m trying to get by with this computer for just a little while longer, so I’m being cheap and not spending money for anything that can’t be moved to a different machine. Besides, inconvenience can also be motivation. 🙂
H
h._bruce_kaplan
Jan 22, 2004
I am using a Dell 18" Ultrasharp lcd monitor and had no trouble setting it up for reliable and accurate monitor to print conversion using a free download from "WiziWNG" call WiziWNG XP. works a treat and yes, Adobe gamma didn’t work. Hope this helps.
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 22, 2004
Bruce, I did a Google search on WiziWNG and turned up nothing at all. Do you have a web site address you can post for this download? I’m using the same monitor that you are. I used the Adobe Gamma utility and didn’t have any particular problem. The green adjustment is definitely the most difficult, but I just adjusted carefully until I had the best match I could. When I got finished I compared the original adjustment to the Adobe settings and could see no discernable difference. Personally I’m pleased with the job that the monitor does, but I likely don’t have the critical eye that many people here do. I’m probably just happy because I don’t know any better <G>. Prints turn out slightly darker in appearance than the monitor shows them, but not enough of a difference to be a problem for me. If I stick with this forum for a while I’ll probably learn to be unhappy with what I’ve got <G>. That’s meant tongue-in-cheek. I just know how this stuff goes. I used to be into audio pretty deeply back in the days when my ears were better and my wallet fatter.
R
Ray
Jan 22, 2004
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 22, 2004
I certainly don’t find any free downloads of this software on their site. They’re pretty proud of their software, and although it may be worth every penny it’s surely out of my budget range. That’s okay. I’m doing pretty well with the setup I have now. I’ll look into it again when I’m rich and famous. Well…on second thought who cares about the famous part?
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 22, 2004
Thanks Lou…
I have it downloaded and will check it out.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 22, 2004
Sure, and let us know how it works for you.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 22, 2004
Got to remember though, that just adjusting your LCD monitor is part of the Adobe Gamma equation. The other part is creating an ICC profile of your display, so it can accurately view an image. LCD’s that come with a factory profile ( if it is at all accurate ) are best represented by using the factory profile, as per the Adobe Tech doc.
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1403e.htm>

Whether or not you have color management turned on or off in Elements, that monitor profile is used, Ian Lyons Image Flow < http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.lyons/ps7-colour/ps7_color.gi f>

🙂

Brent

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections