JK
Posted By
Jeremy_Keith
Aug 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When browsing our file server using column view the macs in our office are leaving open file sessions on the XP server, which prevent us from moving the files to other files.

This only happens when viewing the files in column view.

All connections are made through samba, all machines are 10.3.4

By logging into the server and killing the sessions allows us to continue operations normally.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Aug 23, 2004
Please read the post in the thread linked below:

Ramón G Castañeda "Photoshop freezes when reading from or writing to a Microsoft Network Server" 8/19/04 1:55pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/2>

Opening or saving files across a network is not recommended.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 23, 2004
I am puzzled by this. I have been assuming that when you look at files using Column view you are looking at previews, not actually opening them. Though I would not do this on the server normally, as it takes so long to view files on my local drive if the file size is large much less what it would take across the network.
JK
Jeremy_Keith
Aug 23, 2004
Ramon, sorry to tell you this but that is not my problem.

I have many networks set up running much larger file types then what is going on here, it’s a small lan (5 users) and I am not getting freezes, just the server is no releasing the session (server side) when it’s previewing the thumbnail.

Telling people not to work with network file servers in a business enviroment is like trying to tell a photographer to shoot without a camera.
R
Ram
Aug 23, 2004
Jeremy,

Read the tech document in the link I gave you. Working across a network is not supported for a wide variety of reasons, not just because of freezes. "Not supported" means just that, not recommended and no way for anyone to help you pinpoint where the problem lies in your network; there are just way too many variables involved in networks for Adobe or anyone else to be able to ferret out the culprit(s).

The main characteristics of the problems that arise from working over a server is (a) that they are intermittent and (b) unpredictable.

What you described in your original post is a prime example.

This has been discussed here numerous times.

No need for you to say "sorry"; I’m not having the problems, you are. 😉

If you do a forum search on the appropriate keywords, you’ll find plenty of folks describing your workflow (over a network) as unprofessional or unwise, or both; business environment or not. I’ve done my part; do as you wish.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 24, 2004
Telling people not to work with network file servers in a business enviroment is like trying to tell a photographer to shoot without a camera.

What we are saying is to access the files you need once, at the beginning of your session by dragging/copying the files from the server to your desktop and then working on them and saving them locally; and then a second time at the end of your session to drag/copy them back to the server.

As a bonus, this also reduces network traffic slowdowns.

Neil
JK
Jeremy_Keith
Aug 24, 2004
Regaurdless of how you are all deciding how to manage your own networks, that is still not that case here. We have invested in our LAN (gigabit, all designers are on dual g5s) here so that we can work off the server. It’s a small bunch of designers, doing touchup work on stock photography.

Between 5 artists we are processing somewhere around 100 images a day, workflow and time demands require work to be done off the server.

Photoshop really has nothing to do with this issue except for the fact that the files I am browsing in a FINDER window that are leaving the open sessions on the server are PSDs.

This still happens when 0 files are physically open on any of the machines here.

The issue here is how the column view of the finder is interacting with the PSD thumbnails.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 24, 2004
Fine.

If you insist that your "workflow and time demands require work to be done off the server", just carry on as you are.

But sooner, rather than later, you will open a file to find it corrupted and damaged beyond repair.

Starting from scratch on all those damaged files is not going to be exactly time-saving.

You have been warned….
R
Ram
Aug 24, 2004
Jeremy,

You really don’t seem to understand that we really don’t care how you do things. You posted an issue, we gave you the answer, what you do after that is strictly your business.
CW
c_watts
Aug 24, 2004
To say that Adobe does not support working off a network does not mean it won’t work. (For a long time, Apple did not support partitioning disks, even though their software was happy to make partitions for you) Adobe’s point is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to effectively guarantee that everything will work correctly, especially given the fact that if something does NOT work, it’s probably the networks fault, and Adobe has no interest in troubleshooting your network.

A properly configured network will have NO problems working with photoshop documents from a server. I have been doing it for years, and have never had a problem that was not traceable to a particular network problem.

In some environments, it is completely impractical even to drag files to the desktop. Facilities with production management systems in place simply do not allow this kind of flexibility on the part of the artist. (Luckily, places like this generally have rock solid networks) So telling people to "cease and desist immediately" is not really helpful advice.

Yes, it is better for a LOT of reasons to work locally. If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, don’t complain about it here. If you must work from a server, make sure your admin knows what she’s doing.

The issue Jeremy is suffering from is certainly a network issue unrelated to Photoshop, which is why nobody’s interested in addressing it. Try a networking forum!
JK
Jeremy_Keith
Aug 24, 2004
It was indeed a switch gone bad.

All is well. Thanks for your suggestions.
R
Ram
Aug 24, 2004
To say that Adobe does not support working off a network does not mean it won’t work.

Right. That’s what I said.

Adobe’s point is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to effectively guarantee that everything will work correctly, especially given the fact that if something does NOT work, it’s probably the networks fault, and Adobe has no interest in troubleshooting your network.

Ditto.

… telling people to "cease and desist immediately" is not really helpful advice.

It is too, if the person is having problems. It will possibly prevent that person from suffering irreparable file damage.

… it is better for a LOT of reasons to work locally. If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, don’t complain about it here. If you must work from a server, make sure your admin knows what she’s doing.

Presumably the admin is clueless if the user has to ask here.

The issue Jeremy is suffering from is certainly a network issue unrelated to Photoshop, which is why nobody’s interested in addressing it. Try a networking forum!

And, like Ann told him, it’s only a matter of time before he loses valuable work.

What he does with all that information is strictly up to Jeremy.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 28, 2004
Even Chris Cox says, DON’T work directly via the network server — for all the reasons cited above. If ANYone should know, Chris does. (His is one of the names that passes before you every time you launch Photoshop.)

OK, unless you have a network administrator who truly knows how to optimize a network and knows ALL the issues, I urge that you follow that advice…

That said — it’s still better to work locally, and copy/save back to the server at the end of the Photoshop session. And consider this: what if 2, 3, 4 or more people are making calls to the server simultaneously? Do you think you’re really getting the full benefit of the server’s CPU clock speed or hard disk speed? This doesn’t even consider possible speed losses due to traffic across the network. And the first time you lose a key file — hours of work — due to network corruption, you will think twice about that workflow.

…..Gigabit, schmigabit….

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections