DH
Posted By
Diane_Hogue
Jan 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Elements 2 and Windows XP. I am trying to add a custom shape to a photo, then trim away or delete the area outside the custom shape while allowing my original photo to show through. I guess like a custom crop? Can anyone help?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy_S
Jan 26, 2004
Diane,

Hopefully I have understood your intention correctly…

* Drag out your custom shape, it will appear on a new layer at the top of the stack in the Layers Palette.
* go to Layer>Group with Previous
* Crtl/click that layer so that the marching ants selection line surrounds the shape * go to Select>Inverse, now everything except the shape is selected * click on the layer below in the palette
* tap the delete key on the keyboard

If you didn’t have a layer under these, the backgrouond will be transparent. Add another layer if you desire at the bottom of the stack. This would show surrounding the shape.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 26, 2004
Another way to do it:

* Drag out your custom shape, creating a new layer
* Drag the shape layer so it’s directly underneath your image layer (this assumes your image is all in one layer)
* Click on your original image layer so it’s selected in the Layers palette * Go to Layer–>Group with Previous

Voila–it’s cropped to the shape.
DH
Diane_Hogue
Jan 27, 2004
Thanks for your replies. I’m going to try this tonight. In a roundabout way, that is what I was trying to do but was obviously getting in wrong. Thanks again!
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 27, 2004
Diane,

If what was posted here doesn’t accomplish your goal, post back.

You might also try experimenting with layer styles. A bevel could look good for some things. Try adding different textures to portions of the image or some of the filters too. Experimenting with a Hue/Sat adjustment for different elements might give interesting results also.

Nancy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections