LB
Posted By
lee_boroson
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone have any experience setting up Photoshop to process an oversize image. I estimate about 7gb for the image I need to print. I’ve been told that photoshop is only set up to run up to 2 gb images.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Aug 26, 2004
Photoshop CS
R
Ram
Aug 26, 2004
2GB is the limit in Photoshop 7.0.1. There’s no limit in Photoshop 8 ("CS").
LB
lee_boroson
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks! Time to upgrade…
B
Buko
Aug 26, 2004
There’s no limit in Photoshop 8 ("CS")

I thought the limit was 8 gig in PSB and 4 gig in TIF
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 26, 2004
Buko – no, PSB doesn’t have a file size limit (well, 63 bits is the limit – but we don’t have that much storage on the planet yet).
B
Buko
Aug 26, 2004
PSB doesn’t have a file size limit

Cool.
RB
Richard_BRackin
Aug 26, 2004
The TIF spec appears to indeed be up to 4GB.

You probably already know this, but make sure you’re working on an NTFS(PC) or HFS+(Mac) or equivalent file system. They allow file sizes around 16 Exabytes (theoretically) and 1 Terabyte, respectively.

Do any RIPS read the PSB format? I’ve never tried it, but ours won’t read the PSD format.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 26, 2004
No RIPs will read PSB — it doesn’t have a composite image for them to read…
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 26, 2004
So how does one print a PSB image?
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 26, 2004
Well….?
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 27, 2004
Pierre – you probably can’t do it directly.

The OS print APIs only go to 30,000 pixels.
And the OS print spool typically fails beyond 2 GB of spooled data.

But you may flatten the image, save as TIFF and be able to print from a RIP.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 27, 2004
Or print the image in smaller pieces.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 27, 2004
….wonder how long it takes to output 7 GB…

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 27, 2004
Too Long.

B)
RB
Richard_BRackin
Aug 27, 2004
I wonder if, by any chance, Mr, Boroson will tell us what this is for? My curiosity is getting the best of me.
LB
lee_boroson
Aug 27, 2004
Actually I’m outputting on a lightjet 5000 xl which is a photo printer that can print up to 72inch wide photo paper. The final image is about 12′ square at 300 dpi. So yes, two pieces 72×144. I’m not sure how long it will take. The largest I’ve done so far is 50×50".
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
The final image is about 12′ square at 300 dpi.

Isn’t that overkill?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 28, 2004
300ppi? Probably.

Neil
LB
lee_boroson
Aug 28, 2004
No, not overkill because the original has information as fine as one pixel and when it’s reproduced with an ink based process this detail disappears. The difference is actually astonishing! It’s pretty standard for photographers who are moving to digital processing.
(yes ppi)
R
Ram
Aug 28, 2004
Lee,

The point here is that prints that large are necessarily viewed at much greater distances than an 8×10. I don’t know any photographers who would print a 12foot square image at 300ppi.

[EDIT:] Let me rephrase that last clumsy sentence: I don’t know any photographers who would take an image at 300ppi in order to produce a 12-foot square print.
LB
lee_boroson
Aug 29, 2004
Ah. But this is an image that you need to look at from very close. When you look from a distance you’ll see the basic form, but the closer you get the more you start to understand how the image is made. And this is where it becomes difficult to describe. I’m essentialy making an image of the universe with all of the black removed and all of the objects (stars, galaxies, asteroids) condensed into a massive cluster.
G
graffiti
Aug 29, 2004
The entire universe? That WOULD be a big image. 🙂
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 29, 2004
7gig to be exact.
G
graffiti
Aug 29, 2004
7gig to be exact.

Now we know eh.
R
Ram
Aug 29, 2004
That one is going to have to be transported by means of a portable hard disk drive, and printing is going to be, er … problematic, to say the least.
LB
lee_boroson
Aug 29, 2004
yes indeed. I thank you all for your help. Now I can move forward with confidence!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections