PC
Posted By
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My cousin asked me a good question, and I can’t answer him… How do we do to open a PNG that is in RGBA without having the transparency applied automatically?

That transparency is a problem as what is totally transparent on a layer is lost in Photoshop (in the age of non-destructive editing, and huge hard drives, it sounds so oldskool), so, there is no way to stack layers to retreive 100% opacity everywhere?

BUT, the data is stored in RGB+A, so the data IS in the file (my cousin is coding a 3D environment (see <http://jfdegbo.blogspot.com/> for a work in progress in French), and had coded a way to retrieve the RGB data only, but would like to do so in Photoshop.

I already looked on what Trevor Morris has on its site, but might have missed the answer. It might be as simple as a shortcut, but I haven’t yet found it. Found nothing in the PS MAC and PS PC archives…

Thanks by advance!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TM
Trevor_Morris
Jul 21, 2006
Perhaps I’m missing the point here, but if you create a new document with a transparent background (i.e., no background layer), then draw a circle and save it as an RGBA PNG, what colour/background would you expect if you *could* load the PNG with no transparency?

I don’t know if it helps, but you could tell your buddy to read in the bKGD (background) chunk, and use that as the assumed background colour; however, this chunk is seldom present.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 27, 2006
PNG "alpha" is transparency — that’s the way PNG is defined.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections