"blend RGB colors using gamma" buggy? When to use it?

FD
Posted By
false_dmitrii
Jul 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When is it useful to enable "blend RGB colors using gamma" in Color Settings? The help text seems to suggest that enabling it at gamma 1 is "more accurate" than leaving it off, which makes me think the only reason to disable the checkbox would be for compatibility with other graphics software.

However, enabling gamma 1 blending sometimes causes very strange effects. For instance, if I use spot healing on very dark shadow areas of an image with an Epson 4870 profile, then apply a curves layer, the corrected areas become much lighter along the edges than they ought to be. This is especially prominent when the correction is performed on a blank raster layer, for the entire circle of the brush impression lightens evenly from the center all the way out to the 0-hardness edges. Turning off gamma 1 blending in this case returns everything to normal.

I think I saw something similar when I first installed PSCS2. I was using curves layers to adjust a near-black scan of a nighttime film shot, probably with a Minolta scanner profile applied. If I remember correctly, the dark sky became unusually bright with gamma 1 blending enabled; it didn’t look right until I switched the blend mode off. I’m not 100% sure of this, but before testing it again I’ll wait for feedback on my original question of when and why to use gamma 1 blending.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections