Adobe Gamma calibration tool in APE2/Win98SE…Some kind of joke?

JV
Posted By
James_V
Jan 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Page 32 of the documentation for Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 refers to calibrating monitors with something called Adobe Gamma. The .EXE file is in the right place, but nothing happens when you try to run it. No window, no error message, nothing. Is is some kind of (bad) joke? I have re-installed APE2, still nothing. Any suggestions about overcoming this apparent BUG appreciated! –Jim

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BG
Byron Gale
Jan 29, 2004
Jim,

The .EXE file is the Gamma LOADER, which loads the Gamma settings you generate when you run the Adobe Gamma applet for Control Panel.

I also run 98SE, and the applet did not install in my Control Panel. Others have reported similar installations.

If it’s not in your Control Panel, then you can find it at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration. It is Adobe Gamma.cpl

HTH,

Byron
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 29, 2004
Hello Jim,
Byron has already covered the basic fact that you’re looking for the Adobe Gamma.cpl ( control panel applet ) file . It is not unusual for the installation to fail to "drop it off" where it’s supposed to be. The Adobe Gamma applet both calibrates your monitor ( with a lot of squinting from you ) and creates a profile for your monitor which is used to "standardize" what you see on your display in color managed applications , Ian Lyons Image Flow < http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.lyons/ps7-colour/ps7_color.gi f>

Ian Lyons has an excellent tutorial on the Adobe Gamma applet at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> . It has been guiding force for many a graphics tyro getting started.

🙂

Brent
JV
James_V
Feb 3, 2004
Thanks, guys, but I tried double-clicking on Adobe Gamma.cpl several times. All that happens is one of those classic Microsloth messages: "An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\ADOBE\CALIBRATION\ADOBE GAMMA.CPL".

Still looks like a BUG to me. Any other ideas? –James
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 3, 2004
James, what are the properties of the .cpl file you’re looking at? Mine, which works correctly, is 260 kb in size and is File version 3.3.0.0. Any obvious differences there?

Chuck
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 3, 2004
James,

When I do exactly what you’re doing, the Adobe Gamma applet runs for me… on both my laptop and tower.

I have no further value to add, at this point.

Sorry.

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Feb 3, 2004
James,

You need to put copy the CPL file into this location :
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM (or C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32).

Once the file is copied, open the Configuration panel, and you’ll see the icon for the Adobe Gamma calibration tool. Double-click on it WITHIN the control pannel.

of those classic Microsloth messages

By the way, what’s that? A new software? English isn’t my native language, so sorry to ask…

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 3, 2004
Ray, it’s a play on words: a sloth is a slow and reportedly stupid animal of the forest. Microsoft morphed into Microsloth to make a point… 🙂
RR
Raymond Robillard
Feb 3, 2004
Oops… sorry, I guess there are times (several of them actually) where I should simply remain silently stupid, instead of opening my mouth and displaying the obvious… 🙂

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 3, 2004
Ray, you never did say…how was your Birthday celebration ??? ,,,…a week late
RR
Raymond Robillard
Feb 3, 2004
There wasn’t a celebration (not an event worthy of that name that is). Rick wasn’t feeling great (he had a surgery in December), and our friends weren’t available. We had a dinner at home, something very quiet.

I will celebrate once cold temperatures go away though, that’s for sure! I can already smell the Sangrilla pitcher and feel the heat on my shoulder, on a terrace! 😉

Ray
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 3, 2004
Ray,

Don’t be so hard on yourself – nobody else thinks that way of you!

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 3, 2004
Ray, ya maybe i’ll actually get up to Montreal this summer ( never made it last year )and you can share some of that pitcher with me ;)…I’ll even bring you a birthday present 😉
J
jhjl1
Feb 3, 2004
Ray you are on the All Star Team, I hope you never remain silent.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
"Raymond Robillard" wrote in message
Oops… sorry, I guess there are times (several of them actually)
where I should simply remain silently stupid, instead of opening my mouth and displaying the obvious… 🙂
Ray
R
Ray
Feb 3, 2004
Byron, it was only a joke, really. I guess some things loose their senses when they’re translated. I’m not that hard on me, believe me. My orthodontist does the job, and he does it very nicely and with an efficiency I could never reach (being tough with me, I mean… 😉

Ray
R
Ray
Feb 3, 2004
Thank you James.. (now seriously blushing!!!!!!!!)

By the way, each time I read your signature, it kind of puts a smile on my face (i.e. Have A Nice Day).. It’s so much better than long quotation or famous words from some individual I know nothing about 🙂

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 3, 2004
Ray….it’s also better than, "Go ahead…..make my day….." 🙂
J
jhjl1
Feb 3, 2004
Ray there are two things I hope to do everyday that I wake up, one is to read the obituaries to make sure I am really awake and the other is to try and makes someone’s day better in some small way.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
R
Ray
Feb 3, 2004
James… LOL !!!!! We’ll here’s one way of knowing you’re still alive… !!! I never thought of that. 😉
JV
James_V
Feb 4, 2004
Chuck, James: Hi!; Raymond: bonjour!

I’m re-thinking my comparison of Microsoft to sloths and thinking that that was an insult to sloths. Apologies to any sloths reading the thread. 🙂

Anyhow, I tried Raymond’s solution. I have a 260KB file of ADOBE GAMMA.CPL — couldn’t say what version, since it won’t run — which I tried in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. After putting the file in the latter directory, the Adobe Gamma icon finally came up in the Windows Control Panel, but attempts to run it still result in the same, lame Windows error message.

Any other ideas? Appreciate your help! Thanks! –Jim
RR
Raymond Robillard
Feb 4, 2004
James, I suspect you have a problem with Windows. Quick suggestion : since you seem to like Windows that much, switch to Mac. One action will solve your problems 😉

Seriously, disable any not necessary services (icons near the clock), and disable temporary the anti-virus, then try to run the Adobe Gamma again. I assume you’ve rebooted since you copied the file to its proper location? If not, do so.

Otherwise, log on to the Microsoft Knowledge base, and run a search for "An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file". You might find a fix. If the knowledge base scares you (as it does with several individuals), try the same search on Google.

There’s also the uninstall / reinstall thing. If everything else fails.

Ray

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections