P
Posted By
patrickbennett
Sep 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Simple: CS2, I choose to merge two 32bit PSD files and it says I have the "wrong type of file" then something about it is not an image file. Sure looks like an image to me. I tried saving as TIFF files, same message. Can’t find any info on this problem.

What am I missing here? Thanks for any clues.

Patrick

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
Jeff_Schewe
Sep 5, 2006
HDR Merge is an automate plug-in to merge raw, 16 or 8 bit tiff or psd files with about 4-5 stops minimum, not to merge two 32bit files. If you already have 32bit images, they’re aleady HDR…
P
patrickbennett
Sep 5, 2006
Thanks for the response, though I did misread the help page (32bit first) I have tried with 16 & 8 bit as well as RAW’s. Is it possible that the two images do not have enough dynamic range and CS2 doesn’t allow it?

The images in question are from the same shot, just adjusted in CR to be two different exposures, is that the problem?

Thanks,

Patrick Bennett
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Sep 5, 2006
Won’t work with two processes of a single raw file. You need at least 3 stops of real exposure difference-and you won’t get that from a sinlge raw file…
R
Ram
Sep 5, 2006
You also need more than two exposures. The minimum is three, as Jeff says, but 7 is much better.

From Photoshop’s Help files:

Take enough photos to cover the full dynamic range of the scene. You can try taking at least five to seven photos, but you might need to take more exposures depending on the dynamic range of the scene. The minimum number of photos should be three.
P
patrickbennett
Sep 5, 2006
Makes perfect sense now. Thanks. Can you send me off in the right direction, i.e. masks or ? to the best way to merge highlights from one image and shadows from another(same image, different CR processes). It’s just sunlit mountains and sky in A and vineyards in shadow in B.

Thanks.
R
Ram
Sep 5, 2006
P
patrickbennett
Sep 5, 2006
Thanks very much Ramón & Jeff, Sometimes the simplest answers (google) are overlooked.

I appreciated it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections