KR
Posted By
Kim_Rickert
Feb 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been playing with PSE2 off and on for the past two days now and for my life I cannot find a way to create an empty or transparent shape leaving just the outline. Have I missed something? Misinterpretation? I feel like my brain is on stand-by.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ray
Feb 10, 2004
Kim,

Create your shape. CTRL – Click on the name of the layer in the layer palette. Elements will select all the shape.
Create a new layer and make it active (click on its name on the layer palette). Click on Edit / Stroke and then you’ll have the outline of the shape. Make the shape layer invisible (click on its eyeball in the layer palette).

There you go, the outline without the shape!

Ray
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 10, 2004
Kim,

If you you are uncomfortable with freehand drawing, can use one of the custom shapes or shape tools. Just start with a transparent document. Drag your custom shape into it and then select it. Now just go to edit and select stroke. (If you get a needs to be simplified message, just click okay.) Pick outline color, type in outline width, and select outside for stroke location. Click okay. Now, with shape still selected press delete.

Terri
KR
Kim_Rickert
Feb 10, 2004
Thank you both. Will try it both ways. 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections