P
Posted By
PamelaMRyan
Feb 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have pe2 installed on my old laptop (winxp). I just got a new laptop (win tablet xp) and want to install pe2 on that new one but of course I need the serial number. I usually write the number on the CD but didn’t this time, but the program itself has a serial number but it is not enough digits (I have 20 digits, the program asks for 24). My books, with the serial numbers, are in storage for another 9 months while we build a house.

I have registered the programs, but don’t know who to call at adobe.

How am I going to install pe2 (I have the same problem with photoshop album)?

Pam

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KR
Kim_Rickert
Feb 11, 2004
Pamela:

I just installed PSE2 myself and you are correct … it looks like you cannot get the entire serial number from the existing installed program on your old laptop. The last four digits of the serial number do not appear either on start up or in the Help menu under System Info. If you have indeed registered them, perhaps Adobe Customer Service can help. 1-800-833-6687

Good luck!

Kim
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 11, 2004
Pamela,

There are a couple of things you can do to get the SN# for yourself…

– On the Adobe web site, from the top banner, click Purchase, then, from the submenu, click "Your account". You can sign in using the same username and password you use to access the forums. Once logged in, you can view your product registrations and see you full SN#.

– Alternatively, you can hunt down the full SN# in the Windows Registry. On my Win98SE machine, the full SN# is found at:
HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Uninstall\Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0

It is in the SERIAL string at that location

HTH,

Byron
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 11, 2004
Byron,

Is there a way of doing that on a Mac?

Wendy
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 11, 2004
Wendy,

I am without a clue whether the Mac has an analog to the Windows Registry.

My knowledge of the Mac does not go much beyond being able to spell it correctly 2 out of 3 times.

With the number of regulars using Macs (hey, 3 out of 3!) I doubt that you’ll have to wait long before someone chimes in.

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
Byron, there was a rumor that the subject computer was named after a variety of apple – but that can’t be right, ’cause the apple in question is spelled McIntosh. So I don’t think you have to fret the spelling… 🙂
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 11, 2004
Wendy–no, alas. That is the downside to having a computer that doesn’t keep tabs on what you install and use.

EDIT It’s stored within Elements, of course, but if you trash the program there’s nothing left anyplace else on the computer that remembers what was there.
J
JPWhite
Feb 11, 2004
Download a utility called Belarc Advisor. It will extract the serial number of Adobe apps automatically for you. You can then use that serial number to install onto your new computer.

Visit the following website to download the tool.

<http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html>

JP
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
JP – thanks for the tip on Belarc Advisor – worked like a charm on my system! I’d better copy the results to my backup CD before I lose all that good info…
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 11, 2004
Chuck,

In five minutes from the post you had it downloaded, run and about to copy the results…you are superman!!!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
Nancy, I decided to run it directly from the website instead of downloading it first….once again displaying my lack of caution and common sense (like installing XP on top of ME/98)…. But it did run quickly and generated a terrific list!
🙂
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 11, 2004
Chuck,

I’m in stitches ROTFL with your activities…funny guy
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 11, 2004
oh, oh…have we drifted???
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
oh, oh…have we drifted???

PTT (perish the thought)!
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 11, 2004
it’s perished…back to doing our taxes now….had a good laugh while taking a break from calculations
P
PamelaMRyan
Feb 12, 2004
Thanks, everybody! I’m off to try the various solutions, starting with Belarc ’cause I have that on my computer!
Pam

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections