Substantial Enlargement Bicubic Smoother vs. Outside Software Solution?

JA
Posted By
Jules_Alexander
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Top guy, shmop guy

I have done both, I have used Genuine fractals, I have used several other upsizers and downsizers. I have an 8MP camera and upsize to 30-40 regularly.

Genuine fractals is the best, next is PSCS (10% solution) The worst is upsizing in one swoop.

Sorry, that’s my experience and I’m real picky.

Cheers

Jules

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
Dirk
Sep 19, 2006
"My opinion was that GF was slightly better than Bicubic Sharper and Photozoom my favorite by far. The S-spline algorithm gave superior results in my estimation."

I just did a test with all three methods and found Photozoom to give me better results also.
JV
John_Vitollo
Sep 19, 2006
Tested above apps myself and Photozoom was the winner.

D Ross are you printing the image yourself or are you having a printing company do the mural? If a third party is printing usually their rips have excellent interpolation and only need the native file.
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 19, 2006
Here’s how I rank them:

1 – Genuine Fractals. It does a very smooth and believable job. 2 – PSCS2 Bicubic Smoother. Also excellent. But GF has the edge (no pun intended!) 3 – PhotoZoom S-Spline. Awful. The result looks totally plastic, not at all photographic.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 19, 2006
Rick,

When you determined your rankings was there any trend in terms of original size to final size, e.g. did you start with a 5 x 7 300 dpi and scaled to 15 x 21 at 300dpi or only 10 x 14?

What I’m asking ia at what point in scaling up to you begin to notice a difference between softwares that will also be noticeable when screened?

alan
DR
D_Ross
Sep 19, 2006
Actually, I did this months ago (the post was resurrected yesterday). I used GF from within PS9, and it came out really well. I’ll be back to this discussion for the next time as I did not try Photozoom. The PS Bicubic smoother I did try out and it did not look as good as the GF solution/filter from within PS.
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 19, 2006
at what point in scaling up to you begin to notice a difference between softwares that will also be noticeable when screened?

I didn’t do an exhaustive test comparing the results st 200%, 300%, 400%, etc. My assumption is that for everything up to 200% or even 300%, Bicubic Smoother will be as good as GF in a practical sense. For me, the need for exceptional interpolating comes in at 300% and greater. My tests were at 300% and 500%. The "look and feel" of the S-Spline result was the same at both settings – in my opinion, fairly ugly.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections