BM
Posted By
Bruce_MacDougall
Feb 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have read all the posts regarding frames and still I am having difficulty. Time to ask for help. I open my photo, then go to Image>Resize>Canvas and add white space. I do Command-A, which selects the entire canvas as it should. When I choose a frame,it of course fills this whole space. How to get the frame only in the white space? Thanks, Bruce

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 15, 2004
wrote:
I have read all the posts regarding frames and still I am having difficulty. Time to ask for help.
I open my photo, then go to Image>Resize>Canvas and add white space. I do Command-A, which selects the entire canvas as it should. When I choose a frame,it of course fills this whole space. How to get the frame only in the white space? Thanks, Bruce

How much white space are you adding?

For instance – I made a 1200×1800 image. Then I resized my canvas to 1300×1900, as you said. I used the Foreground Color Frame, and the program increased the white (transparent) space another 100 pixels. I ended up with a empty white space between the Frame and my original picture.

If you want the frame only in the white space with this particular frame, then let the program add white space. In other words, don’t resize your canvas before using the frame effect.

I’m not sure what the other posts are, as your’s showed up as a new thread.

Ed
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 15, 2004
I think it was this post, Ed. And as I reread it, I wondered if the instructions given in it might have been for using the frames Jodi made. I didn’t have time to check out frames from various sources, but using the frames in the Elements Effects palette didn’t produce the result I think the gentleman is after. If you have Jodi’s frames and some time to experiment, you might want to see what, if any, the differences are.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2ccff66e>
LG
Lorace_Graham
Feb 15, 2004
Bruce, There is a thread below this asking for help in Framing and I received a lot of help. I was having the same problem you are. Here’s what Jodi Frye Answered me, and I think it will help you, too. And I’m pasting:

Jodi Frye – 11:55am Feb 13, 2004 Pacific (#5 of 17)

Lorace, hi, yes if you want to apply a frame to your image without losing any of your image go to toolbar>image>resize>canvas size and extend the canvas for as large as you want the frame to be. this will give you transparency around the image( you might have to experiment a little with the pixel expansion..I can’t tell you exactly how many pixels to add because it depends on the resolution of your image). Then grab the paint bucket tool and dump a color into the transparency and then apply the frame ( there are other ways but this is a simple approach ).

The key to the success, Bruce, was filling that transparency you had created when you extended the canvas. Hope this is helpful,

Lorace
JR
John_R._Collins
Feb 15, 2004
Bruce,
After creating your frame, and if its size is too large, go to Layer/Layer Style/Scale Effects and reduce the size of the frame.

John
BM
Bruce_MacDougall
Feb 15, 2004
Thank you all for the input. Paint bucket fills the transparency just fine. I am running into problems when I choose something from "Effects" palette. For instance: I’ve increased the canvas size to show the amount of white space I would like to fill. I go to "Effects" and make a selection, ‘Rosewood’, and drag it onto white space. Fills the entire canvas so I’m definitely missing something here.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 15, 2004
Bruce,,,ya ya I see….rosewood in effects. Just apply the effect and it will be on it’s own layer….yea, covering the entire layer. Make a selection with rectangular marquee around the inside ( as far as you want the frame to go in )on the rosewood layer and click ‘delete’ on keyboard. Now go to layer styles and apply a bevel. This is just one way but a simple way.
BM
Bruce_MacDougall
Feb 15, 2004
Well now, that’s as easy as it gets. I was forgetting the marquee step, or rather not using it because…Thanks, Jodi.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 15, 2004
great !!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections