___How do I add black to greys in image that are only 3 color (CMY)?

RD
Posted By
Ryan Donahue
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
___How do I add black to greys in image that are only 3 color (CMY)?

I have many images that have like 9% Cyan, 11% Magenta and 12% Yellow as a neutral ‘grey’ background, but I’d like to decrease these amounts of color, and add an equal amount of black (or K), so that visually it’s about the same, but when it gets printed, the pressman won’t have issues trying to keep the ‘grey’ from looking too pink, too blue, etc.

This might be a GCR/UCR situation (but since there’s no existing black, that seems difficult).

Thanks,
R

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 19, 2006
Convert to CMYK with MAx black generation

Note: I do not recommend doing this and unless your pressman specifically said there was a problem with the above mentioned CMY mix, I would not touch it either.
RD
Ryan Donahue
Sep 19, 2006
I’ve never heard of that MAx black generation… how do I access that?

And yes, there sure is a problem (Pressmen can’t $*%^&! hold it in balance at all!
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 19, 2006
See the custom CMYK settings.

Again, I strongly advise against doing this.

Pressmen can’t $*%^&! hold it in balance at all!

Then perhaps it’s time to find another printer?
RD
Ryan Donahue
Sep 19, 2006
I wish I could – I work in the prepress dept. of the printer! LOL
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 19, 2006
Just a thought here –

9/11/12 is in no way a neutral grey – it’s distinctly pink. Perhaps the problem is with your file. A neutral gray would be more like 12/9/9. The numbers may be different based on what CMYK profile is building the separation, but the relationship between cyan, magenta and yellow will be the same – for neutral grey, magenta and yellow are equal, cyan slightly higher.

If the pressman is twisting his press to try and make 9/11/12 neutral, the rest of the sheet will look like crap.
RD
Ryan Donahue
Sep 19, 2006
Well, I just pulled those numbers out of my butt – the actual numbers are far lower, but I just wanted a rule of thumb to fix it. I think the very helpful suggestion of custom CMYK profiles would work (haven’t had a chance to try it yet).

Here’s a description I found:

< http://designorati.com/photoshop/2006/using-gcr-to-separate- a-black-graphic/>
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 19, 2006
9/11/12 is in no way a neutral grey – it’s distinctly pink

Doh!

I can’t believe I didn’t see this 🙁

Ryan – what are the actual values, if the real numbers are lower they could still not be neutral…
RD
Ryan Donahue
Sep 19, 2006
Well, it really doesn’t matter what the values are (I realize that combo would make a tan color, rather than grey)… but if I want to run jobs with (ACTUAL) neutral grey in combination with other jobs on a press sheet, I don’t want the pressman to have to do any special adjusting on press for one item at the expense of another. I want to do all the Photoshop work I can so that they can simply run to densities, and match the proofs we output (which are always in perfect (correct) density)!

By the way, thanks to all for the continuing forum help!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections