LD
Posted By
Lyman_DeLiguori
Sep 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there anyone else getting a Kernel Panic anytime iTunes is running concurrently with Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Bridge? Or am I the only lucky one? This is happening with enough frequency such that I am begining to wonder if this v10.4.7 thinks it is now part of the Microsoft family.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Lyman

The latest Panic.Log below:

panic.log:

Description: Panic (system crashes) log
Size: 18.07 KB
Last Modified: 9/26/06 6:46 PM
Recent Contents: …
0x000A9914
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x00F06500)
previously dumped as "Latest" state. skipping… Exception state (sv=0x61483500)
PC=0x9000B268; MSR=0x0000F030; DAR=0x3DC4EBE0; DSISR=0x42000000; LR=0x9000B1BC; R1=0xBFFFF370; XCP=0x00000030 (0xC00 – System call)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.7.0: Fri May 26 15:20:53 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.6.76.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC panic(cpu 1 caller 0xFFFF0004): 0x400 – Inst access
Latest stack backtrace for cpu 1:
Backtrace:
0x00095718 0x00095C30 0x0002683C 0x000A8404 0x000ABD80
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x00F06500)
PC=0x00000010; MSR=0x40009030; DAR=0x3DC4EBE0; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x000A9914; R1=0x46E03E90; XCP=0x00000010 (0x400 – Inst access)
Backtrace:
0x000A9914
Exception state (sv=0x61483500)
PC=0x9000B268; MSR=0x0000F030; DAR=0x3DC4EBE0; DSISR=0x42000000; LR=0x9000B1BC; R1=0xBFFFF370; XCP=0x00000030 (0xC00 – System call)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.7.0: Fri May 26 15:20:53 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.6.76.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
JW1000
Sep 28, 2006
Just tried on my system 10.4.7 and Photoshop 9.02 with Itunes 7.01. No problems seen.
P
Phosphor
Sep 28, 2006
Try asking at the MacFixit forums.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 28, 2006
Kernel panic indicates an OS or hardware problem – you need to send this in to Apple.
B
Bernie
Sep 28, 2006
I often have iTunes radio on while using PS.
MacFixit is a good idea.
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Sep 28, 2006
Thanks, Tom. I figured as much but was just curious if any of the three programs were vying for the same Address space and if anyone else had experienced this.

Thanks!
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 28, 2006
Lyman – no, that can’t happen on a modern operating system.
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Sep 28, 2006
Chris,

Thanks. I know that they’re supposed to reside in separate Address spaces, but I was just curious if, for instance, there existed the possibility of Memory Leaks with a resultant crash once resources ran low.

It may just be time to reload the O/S.

Thanks again!
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 28, 2006
No, it doesn’t work that way.

Yes, this could be a corrupt OS install.
Or it could be a driver bug, or bad RAM, or just a corrupt prefs file and a bug they need to fix.
R
Ram
Sep 28, 2006
Don’t discount directory damage. It’s a prime cause of kernel panics. Run DiskWarrior.

<http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic.html>

The kernel panic FAQ is divided by the order of most common occurrences of kernel panics:

* Directory
* Drivers
* Permissions
* RAM

1. A directory failure or user accidentally moving .kext files that should be left alone. The directory may fail, due to an accident caused by Norton Utilities or Systemworks, which may at random corrupt a directory even when trying to repair it. Norton Anti-Virus will not do this, but Norton Disk Doctor and Norton Speed Disk have a history of doing this.
L
Lundberg02
Sep 28, 2006
I have had two 10.4.7 crashes while sending email, once in Thunderbird 1.5 0.7 and once in AOL. No other problems.
JN
Jim Nagy
Sep 28, 2006
In article ,
wrote:

Is there anyone else getting a Kernel Panic anytime iTunes is running concurrently with Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Bridge? Or am I the only lucky one? This is happening with enough frequency such that I am begining to wonder if this v10.4.7 thinks it is now part of the Microsoft family.
I recently bought Aperture, and started having crazy things happen – corrupted pictures, spinning beach balls, and kernal panics too, seemingly only when running Aperture. These had rarely happened before, so I blamed Aperture for my troubles.
I called the help line, and the Apple guy led me to eventually restart with my original system disk, so I could run the hardware check. It turned out that one of my RAM cards (in the 3GB pair position) was bad. When running CS1, etc. I rarely got had any trouble (as it can only address 2GB), but since Aperture can use all the RAM (and did), I ran into trouble when it tried.
I’d run the hardware check if I were you. The extensive one takes a long time, but is worth it. Your problem could be as simple as mine – a bad DIMM card.

Jim Nagy
Elm Electronics
KS
Kristen_Sams
Oct 3, 2006
Hi Lyman,
I had a couple Kernal panics in the last few weeks (first time ever on this Mac) and it was while running itunes, PS2, ical, mail and ichat (+other assorted programs, but those are the only ones that were running every time.) I updated my itunes with the patch just released (7.0.1), and I havn’t had a problem since. Not sure if thats the culprit, but stranger things have happened.
Good Luck,
Kristen
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Oct 3, 2006
Hi Kristen,

Many thanks. Since removing Third Party Widgets I’ve had zero crashes now for about a week with or without iTune and PS2 running concurrently.

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Lyman
P
Phosphor
Oct 3, 2006
Dig around MacFixit (unfortunately, many older entries are available to subscribers only), and search the forums there:

<http://www.macfixit.com>
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks for the URL. That is actually where I had found mention of disabling the Third Party Widgets, and that seems to have worked (so far…).

Thanks again,

Lyman
R
Ram
Oct 3, 2006
Not only did I disable all Widgets, I went and disabled Dashboard alltogether.
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2006
I love all my Widgets.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2006
The Widgets that I have cause neither harm nor slowness on my machine and can be extremely useful.
R
Ram
Oct 3, 2006
Ann,

Dashboard is wasting resources even when not in use. I can’t tell you specifically what to look for in the Activity Monitor because it depends on each Widget.

You made a related assertion about Spotlight that I have found not to be true: that it’s not continuously wasting resources. It is. Look for any component in the Activity Monitor that has anything in its name related to MDS. The Metadata Server is the engine used by Spotlight, as I found out.

I’ve disabled Spotlight again, and the SBOD occurrences have gone away entirely.

Incidentally, I disabled it not so much because of SBOD incidents, but because I got absolutely fed up at its not finding stuff that EasyFind was able to locate without any trouble. *Things like system files, package contents, etc. In my opinion, and in the light of the existence and free availability of EasyFind, Spotblight is useless.

Just my experience.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2006
Neither Spotlight nor Dashboard get in my way — probably because this machine has a generous amount of resources — and I have not found Spotlight inadequate for my needs.

Actually, I haven’t seen that SPOD in months.

I also have EasyFind on this machine but I really don’t find much need to use it.
R
Ram
Oct 3, 2006
this machine has a generous amount of resources

Of course that makes a HUGE difference, Ann. I’m painfully aware of that and of the limitations of my machine; that’s why I try to help it along in any little way I can.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2006
That makes all the sense in the world: there is no sense in keeping programs running that you don’t need on a resource-challenged box.

But if you do have the resources, the bells and whistles are nice to have.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Of course.
B
Buko
Oct 4, 2006
Dashboard is wasting resources even when not in use.

not on my machine. If Dashboard is not active there is no CPU usage
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Oct 4, 2006
Not only did I disable all Widgets, I went and disabled Dashboard alltogether.

As will I, even though with 6.5GB RAM this box isn’t hurting for Resources. If they’re not being used, then disable or otherwise get rid of the drain. And since disabling the Widgets the system has not crashed.

I’ve yet to find a Widget that really amounts to anything productive.
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Oct 4, 2006
not on my machine. If Dashboard is not active there is no CPU usage

It’s still resident in Memory, and therefore using Cycles.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
There is, Buko. I believe either David Pogue or Dr. Smoke says so too. I’d have to look that up. You just have to know what to look for in Activity Monitor, and that depends on each dormant Widget.

Also, Dashboard Widgets are reputed to be the one vulnerability of OS X that a hacker might exploit to damage your Mac,
B
Buko
Oct 4, 2006
If they are not being used how can there be a drain?

I find them very useful I use the conversion widgets and my weather widgets all the time then there is the doppler radar widget. the Family Guy widget, the cocktail Widget, the recipe Widget, the sunlit Earth widget. the time wasting solitaire widget, and many more.

none of which screw anything up.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
If they are not being used how can there be a drain?

There shouldn’t, but there is. Something Dashboard does.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
"But all of this power comes at something of a price—mainly increased RAM consumption from open widgets, even if Dashboard itself is closed. Look at the screenshot below and pay attention to the Real Memory column. That figure represents how much actual RAM each Widget is using—even though Dashboard itself wasn’t opened when this image was captured. If you have a Mac with limited RAM, you may wish to disable Dashboard to deny yourself the temptation of these oh-so-handy Widgets. (Even if you don’t disable Dashboard, you should try not to leave lots of Widgets open if you’re working on a RAM-constrained Mac)."

Above excerpt from Disable Dashboard, by Rob Griffiths < http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2005/08/disabled ashboard/index.php>
B
Buko
Oct 4, 2006
There shouldn’t, but there is. Something Dashboard does.

Not on my Box.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
What’s more:

With the recently released maintence [sic] update Mac OS 10.4.7, the company [Apple] has added a background daemon that reports information about your computer to Apple once every eight hours.

Called the Widget Advisory, the invisible program checks which widgets you have at activation, as well as their version information, and submits the info to Apple, which checks to see if they’re all up-to-date. If not, you get a prompt to update your software.

From: CLICK HERE <http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1515043>
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Buko,

You’re just not seeing it. But it’s happening. In your box too.
B
Buko
Oct 4, 2006
I’m looking at my activity monitor.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
I repeat: You’re just not seeing it. But it’s happening. In your box too.

It won’t say "Dashboard" or "Widget X", but it’s happening.

Try making a screenshot of the Activity Monitor window to have as reference. Then totally disable Dashboard. Reboot and compare.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 4, 2006
Ramón:

I obviously have got Dashboard configured entirely differently from you. I keep mine in the Dock (like my other Applications) and it is not set to open-up with F12.

I shut down my Mac completely every night and until I actually Launch Dasboard (by double clicking its icon), NO widgets at all are shown in Activity Monitor/Real memory.

If I do launch it, a mere 75MB of "Real Memory" is being used which is a drop in the ocean out of a total of 3.5GB and a fraction of what is being used by other System components and open Applications. And, unless the Dashboard window is actually Open, the Widgets are using 0% of the CPU.

It’s honestly not something that I find to be of any concern.

And as for the Widget advisory "calling home? Well so does the Menu Bar Clock, Software Update and Mail among others and I don’t have any qualms about it.

Adobe’s Activation module may well do the same thing as well?.
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Oct 4, 2006
I’m looking at my activity monitor.

Ramon is correct.

Any process the O/S has loading at Boot and any application that is running is using Memory, if even just as a background process. And again, if in memory then it is consuming CPU Cycles. There is no way around that.

It may be buried within a Thread, the smallest Unit possible.

Activity Monitor is not going to show you the ‘Nth’ degree as it’s just not that accurate an indicator. Entire Volumes can be written about Process Monitoring.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Ann,

I obviously have got Dashboard configured entirely differently from you.

No, I disabled it entirely, not configured it. 😀

I can’t believe you find this worthless piece of trivial, poorly written software worth arguing about. I don’t.

Why do you suppose there are so many published articles in print as well as web sites and even free software dedicated to disabling Dashboard? Just to pass the time? Just to irritate you and Buko?

Really, I don’t give a hoot as to who likes Dashboard, and I fail to understand why anyone would care that I don’t like it or find any use for it. I gave the information I could, and if someone wants to take advantage of it, fine. If not, that’s also fine.
B
Buko
Oct 4, 2006
I’m just looking at Active Processes on the machine.

the only widget that pops up is sunlit earth. 45MB every minute for 2 seconds if that long. that is the only widget that shows when not using dashboard compared to what Photoshop ties up constantly this is nothing.

I do understand why you don’t want to use widgets Ramón but Apple’s Tiger has come along way since 10.4.0, and the efficiency of the OS is much better than when first released.

remember that’s what the SWAP files are for, freeing up RAM that is not being used at the moment.

I would be interested in the exact widget that was crashing the OP’s machine.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Buko,

but Apple’s Tiger has come along way since 10.4.0, and the efficiency of the OS is much better than when first released.

I’m still reserving final judgment on Tiger. I don’t want to be totally negative this prematurely. It’s been less than a month for me. Time will tell.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections