ZA
Posted By
Zaid Al-Hilali
Sep 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I used a plug-in called Pixelsmart few times in 2003, I can’t recall whether it was by Corel or other. Any way, I am in need of a procedure to scale up image massively say 300% and more with a good result.
These images are meant for Wide Format inkjet printers for posters and bilboards.

What do you suggest of a good plug-in, procedure, or action/script!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Sep 30, 2006
If its a digital camera image use bicubic smoother in one step.
B
Bernie
Sep 30, 2006
What is the current size and resolution of these images?

Wide format printing often only requires a resolution of 100 ppi. Billboards may require even less.
RM
Rick McCleary
Oct 1, 2006
At 300% to 500%, Genuine Fractals does a better job than Bicubic Smoother. Less than 300%, it’s a toss-up.
ZA
Zaid Al-Hilali
Oct 1, 2006
It is actually 300% up to 600% scaling, and generally it is not from a digital camera Buko, mostly it is either scanned in house or a royalty free image that will be inserted into an ad or something. Did you try bicubic smoother option on such scale percentage Buko? As I remember I experimented few PS options in the past but didn’t get satisfactory results for large scaling.
We printed some images @ 50ppi before, they didn’t look appealing from as close as 6feet, but once mounted high up in the road, its issues are pretty un-noticeable.
I looked at Genuine Fractals now, and believe this will serve the purpose. Many thanks.
B
Buko
Oct 1, 2006
I usually use ACR when I upscale.

I would never upscale a scanned image that much. only a Digital capture.
ZA
Zaid Al-Hilali
Oct 1, 2006
What is ACR if I may ask?
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 1, 2006
"Wide format printing often only requires a resolution of 100 ppi. Billboards may require even less. "

I’d take heed with what Nomad says. You may just be gilding the lily. I used to do magazine covers and at the end of an issue they would ask for a 300 dpi tiff (at magazine format size) for posters–and I’d see the (approx 4×5 feet) the poster plastered around town and they always looked great.

alan
R
Ram
Oct 1, 2006
Zaid,

What is ACR if I may ask?

ACR = Adobe Camera Raw. Buko is obviously referring to upsampling RAW images from a digital camera during the RAW conversion.
ZA
Zaid Al-Hilali
Oct 1, 2006
Great Ramon, obviously as Buko was referring to digital snap shots. Thanks to all.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections