SS
Posted By
Ssn_Sxtn
Sep 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The latest Photoshop install disk I have is PS 6. I’m currently running CS2 on a dying computer, thanks to being able to download the updates over the last several years.

I got a new computer last week, and now I need to know how to transfer the installation from the elderly computer to the new one. Could it possibly be as easy as networking the computers and dragging and dropping?

Or do I have to install PS 6 from the old CD, and then do the latest update to 9.0.2 in one jump?

Or do I have to download each of the versions till I get caught up to the current versions? I have the PS 7 upgrade CD, but from thereon, every update has been over the internet.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15"/10.4.7/2GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB DDR2 SDRAM/

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2006
Deactivate CS2 on your old computer.

Then you only need to know the Serial number of your Photoshop 6 (no need to actually install it) and install CS2 (Photoshop 9) from your DVDs.
Then Activate CS2 on your new computer and apply the Updates to v.9.0.2.
SS
Ssn_Sxtn
Sep 30, 2006
I guess I didn’t make myself very clear, Ann. I do not have the physical discs for Photoshop beyond 6 with an installer, and 7 with the upgrade. PS 7 and all the updates/upgrades from thereon in have been done over the internet. I’m trying to find out if I need one, if I absolutley have to buy Photoshop allover again, and just throw away the older vesions on my older computer. I’m trying to find out if I can transfer the files without having to give Adobe any more money, especially without duplicating my program.

If I understand you correctly, though, if I download CS2/PS9 from the internet, all I need is the serial numbers to get it? How do I install Photoshop, then? Doesn’t it have to be installed on the computer, rather than just downloaded to it?

Thanks…
R
Ram
Sep 30, 2006
if I download CS2/PS9 from the internet, all I need is the serial numbers to get it?

"From the Internet"???? that’s software piracy.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2006
If I understand you correctly, though, if I download CS2/PS9 from the internet, all I need is the serial numbers to get it? How do I install Photoshop, then? Doesn’t it have to be installed on the computer, rather than just downloaded to it? >

I am assuming that you mean from Adobe’s web site and that you have Registered your copy?

You are probably correct but I have never bought Adobe products in that way so I don’t really know the answer. You will have to check with Customer Service if it doesn’t work.

Incidentally, I would always want to possess the actual CDs/DVDs for any major software purchase.
SS
Ssn_Sxtn
Sep 30, 2006
You’re toying with me, right, Señor Pirate???

Since I paid for and own all versions of Photoshop from the last 14 years, several versions of which have been paid for through and downloaded from the internet, it does not constitute piracy.

I just wanna find out how to transfer my legally acquired versions from one computer to another. Don’t I have to install PS on the new computer?

The latest installer I have is on a CD of PS6, along with the serial number for that one and all others I’ve downloaded.

Thanks…..
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2006
Ssn:

I don’t know the answer because I always use the physical DVDs.

You will just have to try it to see if CS2 will install that way — but you shouldn’t need to install 6.0 if you know its SN.
SS
Ssn_Sxtn
Sep 30, 2006
Yes Ann, from Adobe. Thanks for asking me to clarify that. We don’t need the likes of Sr. P jumping to the wrong conclusions about people. I just assumed that since I was on an Adobe Forum group, that it would be obvious that I’d gotten all my versions from the manufacturer. Guess I guessed wrong!

I’ll go through Adobe’s personal support service. I was hoping for an answer from the Forum that would save me that hassle, but it looks like I’ll have to just plod along till next week when there’ll be someone there to help me with the answers.

As far as purchasing the actual CDs/DVDs: it works best only when you live in the US.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2006
I just assumed that since I was on an Adobe Forum group, that it would
be obvious that I’d gotten all my versions from the manufacturer. Guess I guessed wrong! >>

You would actually be amazed at how often we DO get people coming here to ask for help in installing their pirated software! (Mind boggling — especially as Adobe Legal will then have their IP address!)

You don’t necessarily need to wait until Monday. Just sign in to your Adobe Account/View order History and see if you can re-download from "Your Downloads".

I can’t test this for you because i have never bought software from Adobe in that way.
R
Ram
Sep 30, 2006
Sorry, but you did say "from the Internet".
SS
Ssn_Sxtn
Sep 30, 2006
OK, thanks! I’ll give it a whirl.
R
Ram
Sep 30, 2006
Incidentally, these two statements in the original post are contradictory:

The latest Photoshop install disk I have is PS 6

I have the PS 7 upgrade CD

ALL Photoshop CDs are FULL installers. The only difference is that the upgrade CD will ask you for the old serial number as well as the new one. You do not need to have a prior version installed.

The same goes for downloads from the Adobe store. Each download is a full installer. You do not need to have a prior version installed, just the old serial number.

So, if you still have the CS2 download, burn that to a CD, then just install it on the new computer.
B
Buko
Sep 30, 2006
If you buy software online from Adobe always burn the installer to CD/DVD and you will never be in this situation.
SS
Ssn_Sxtn
Sep 30, 2006
Oh mercy! Thanks so much! This is exactly the kind of info I really needed. I always burn my downloads to a CD, so I can just do all that tonight. You don’t know the headaches and hassles you’ve saved me. Consider yourself upgraded from a pirate to a knight.

I checked my Adobe history, as Ann suggested, and learned that Adobe offers three years of downloads, so there should be no problems.

Thank you again………
R
Ram
Oct 1, 2006
Don’t forget to deactivate Photoshop on the old computer, so you can re-activate it the new installation without its counting toward the allowed activations.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections