How to open same file again in an Action ("Place" a file)

PS
Posted By
Peter_Sorantin
Oct 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Question related to opening files in Actions:

Background info: I am working with raw files from a Leaf Digital back (22 megapixels) and Camera Raw; I am embedding the original raw file in a file that just displays a smaller preview of the full file (screen size) via the "Place" command. I save this file as .psd which allows me to import the file into other apps that accept .psd files, but would not accept raw files.

I have not found out a way to automate this process via an action/droplet, since I have not figured how I can open a file that is processed in an action again in the same action (without asking for manual input).

Here is the manual (i.e. not actioned) sequence of steps:
a) Create new file, say 1600×1200 pixels (screen resolution)
b) Open raw file and convert it… this fills the empty new file with a first layer; this serves as low-res preview
c) Use "Place" command to open *again* the same raw file and embed it inside the file; that way the raw file can be retrieved later in unchanged format from the file created above; the file from step a) serves as outer shell and preview and packages everything up as .psd.

I have not figured out how to issue in c) the "Place" command in an action so it goes automatically to the raw file I opened in step b).

?

Help appreciated,
Peter

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections