RH
Posted By
Robin_Harrison
Nov 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just received my new MacBook laptop with Intel Core Duo. Since I have been a PC user, I called Adobe Service to see about a cross grade so I could load my CS2 to the laptop. I was told that the new Intels do not read the Mac version of CS2 and I would be better off installing my Windows version. When I put the disk into the super drive, the auto run does not start and I am not able to install. I see the Adobe files/folders, etc. (Tried the cut and paste method, but not sure if I followed the instructions correctly). After doing some reading on these forums, I am not sure if others are installing Mac or PC versions of CS2, or if it is a super drive problem. The super drive is only reading about 1/2 of my CDs,all of which work fine on my other computer. Any help would be appreciated before I decide whether to return the laptop and try another model which will hopefully have less trouble reading CDs. Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Nov 7, 2006
To run the PC version on your Mac-Intel machine, you first need to install Apple’s BootCamp, or a 3rd party utility called Parallels, then you have to instal a copy of Windows (which you buy separately).

Then, when running Windows, you instal Photoshop.
RH
Robin_Harrison
Nov 7, 2006
OK, but if I would rather not do that, can I just buy a mac version of CS2 and load that to the MacBook? And if so, why was I told that the Mac version would not run on the Intels. What version of CS2 is everyone else running on their MacBooks? The PC version with parallels or the Mac version? Thanks again.
R
Ram
Nov 7, 2006
but if I would rather not do that, can I just buy a mac version of CS2 and load that to the MacBook?

Yes, of course.

And if so, why was I told that the Mac version would not run on the Intels.

You talked to a moron.

Or you misunderstood that person. Photoshop 9.0.2 (CS2) for Mac runs natively on Mac PPC machines, and under Rosetta emulation on Mac_Intel machines. What that person must have said is that CS2 under Rosetta will not be as fast as CS3 will be when it runs natively.

Just for your information, these are user to user forums. You are NOT addressing Adobe here. We’re users just like you, trying to help each other out.
R
Ram
Nov 7, 2006
Incidentally, Rosetta is totally transparent. You don’t need to be aware of it.
RH
Robin_Harrison
Nov 7, 2006
Thanks, I will call the service department again and see if I can buy a cross grade.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 7, 2006
Robin-

Laptops have never been strong Photoshop boxes and you just bought Apple’s low end laptop. Add to that the fact that until PSCS3 is released ~2007 April PS will be operating under "Rosetta" emulation which takes a 30% or so performance hit as well as RAM hit, and the result is that you can anticipate poor PS performance on a MacBook even if you (important) max out the RAM to the MacBook’s limited 2 GB maximum.

I recommend that you listen to the advice that says use your PC version of PS. Install Boot Camp or Parallels and run PS under those apps. Your PS performance will be much, much better. Then switch to the Mac version of PS when PSCS3 is released.

In any event make sure you have max RAM on board.
R
Ram
Nov 7, 2006
I never touched the subject of laptops because I hate them. I have had them and literally found no use for them.

But others love them.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 7, 2006
I have always had both desktops and laptops, finding the ability to work in any location invaluable.
R
Ram
Nov 7, 2006
Yes, you would.
RH
Robin_Harrison
Nov 7, 2006
Allen, thanks for the reply and help. I have a great PC with tons of room. Bought the laptop for photo back up while on vacation and thought I could start the editing process while on the plane thus saving some time. After reading your reply, I guess I will use Apple’s built in software to do 1st edits, then wait until the new CS3 comes out and upgrade and asking for a Mac version also. I will also,at your suggestion, get more memory in the meantime. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Just trying to figure out this Mac stuff.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections