C
Posted By
cindyrodenbeck
Nov 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have OS X on a G4, When I open a file in Photoshop CS I get this message saying. Could not complete this operation. an assertion has failed. I click ok. Then it says "there is a a problem reading the layer data. read the composite data instead. So I click ok. Then it is unable to recieve document and I can edit it in ImageReady. Then comes another message sayng "A communication error has occur" I click retry and the dialog box comes back asking to retry or cancel. Then it says it is not compatiable with this version of PS. I do have PS 7 and PS CS. I created all my files on PS CS. I was creating buttons and was flip flopping to and from Image Ready. It opens in ImageReady but there isn’t much there from the orginal file. My file is gone. All the layers are there but there is no object on the layer. How did this happen. Is there a way to fix it or have I lost it all.Do you know what causes that to happen.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Nov 13, 2006
How did this happen.

There are a number of possible causes for various types of file damage.

First and foremost is NAV (Norton Anti Virus), which is a known destroyer of Photoshop files in a Mac environment.

Another possibility is saving over a network. (See next post please)

Another one is a corrupted or bad font.

Hardware problems, particularly disk errors, connections, bad cables can also cause damaged files.

If you were not able to open it in ImageReady, which is normally the first thing to try, you may be out of luck. Try opening it in Graphic Converter, which may give you the whole composite if not the layers back.

You wrote:

Then it is unable to receive document

From where is it being received?
R
Ram
Nov 13, 2006
This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 13, 2006
"Could not complete this operation. an assertion has failed."

I can guarantee you did not get that message in Photoshop. But you might have gotten it in ImageReady.

"there is a a problem reading the layer data. read the composite data instead" That is a Photoshop error message.
And it means pretty much what it says: the layers in your file are corrupt (could not be read), and it gives you the option of recovering the composite (flattened) image.
C
cricket5
Jan 18, 2007
Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

I was just browsing these threads looking for Imageready error posts and this response really disturbs me. Adobe SHOULD guarantee everything to work properly. They are providing Version Cue in the CS suite of products. The entire point of version cue is to have a version control system in place in a networked environment for multiple designers to make changes and comments to various files. FROM A SERVER!
It is ridiculous that they would provide such software without guaranteeing it will work properly. But then, I guess we are talking about Adobe.

And Chris, I’m curious as to why you guarantee that someone did not get that message in Photoshop? Why would somebody make that up?
R
Ram
Jan 18, 2007
And Chris, I’m curious as to why you guarantee that someone did not get that message in Photoshop?

Because Chris writes the Photoshop code and knows what error messages it can and cannot generate. 😀 Click on his name on any of his posts or watch the splash screen next time you launch Photoshop.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections