Posted By
dango
Nov 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Aloha,

I am on a quest for my boss. I need to find a good plug in (brush or filter) that can make a photo look like a painting. If any of you know of or have experience with a good one please let me know.

It can be freeware or it can cost a bunch, either way as long as it works good.

Thanks in advance

Erik

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Nov 15, 2006
Have you tried any of the Artistic and other filters built into Photoshop?

(Incidentally, what version of Photoshop?)
S
SteveV
Nov 15, 2006
Corel Painter will do the job.

Make a clone of your image, select all and delete and start painting with an oil brush cloner. Within minutes you’ll have a painterly version of the photo.

the base version of Painter, Essentials will do the job for 99 bucks.

< http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/reviews/essentials3/index.ph p>
B
Buko
Nov 15, 2006
will 2 do the same? I got a copy of 2 with my Wacom.
P
Phosphor
Nov 16, 2006
It’ll do the automatic thing, Buko, but it works best if you do the brush strokes manually.
DK
david_kohn
Nov 16, 2006
there’s a lot of stuff you can do just using layers and blending modes. There’s a book called something like Photoshop Blending Modes Cookbook, which you could stop by a Borders and take a look at to pick up some ideas. Painter is great, but there is a steep learning curve and using it can eat up a lot of time. You might also want to check out some of the sites that give you links to free Photoshop Actions. I’ve found a few that are quite good and easily altered to meet your own particular needs.
S
SteveV
Nov 16, 2006
No learning curve for what I’ve just described David.

There’s a truck load of things to learn in Painter for sure, but that simple procedure will get you a finished job in 20 minutes max for the fist one and quicker each consecutive time.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Nov 16, 2006
Or try Painter’s Chalks

Even better…Open your image in Painter, go to File>Quick Clone and Painter will do the deleting and create the tracing paper for you (Painter 8-9 only)

Go to Chalks and choose Variable Chalk

Set your paint brush to the rubber stamp icon in the Color palette…this way any brush becomes a cloner brush.

Go to the paper selector and choose a paper (french watercolor is one I like) Lower the grain of the brush in the control bar (the lower the grain the more the paper texture applies…(painter quirk).

Start big and sloppy (blocking) then keep reducing the size of the brush..(bracket keys same as PS) follow the contours of the image as you reduce the size of the brush and you will have a terrific organic feel.
S
SteveV
Nov 16, 2006
So many variations. It’s a great program and it compliments Photoshop in so many ways I could never understand Adobe not buying it when it came up.
B
Buko
Nov 16, 2006
Wow that’s cool. Like I said I got it with my Wacom but did not know what to do with it. This will give me a starting point.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 16, 2006
Buko,

If you still have the Wacom install CD, there are several tutes from Lynda Weinman plus if you register the app you could get about 10 more. Among them you’ll be up and running in no time.
D
dango
Nov 16, 2006
Ok, thanks for all the replies,

steve a lot have told me corel painter is a good choice for this so I will look into that right now.

as far as using photshops built in effects and artistic filters, we have, and they are not enough of what we need. actually my boss saw what a friend of his was doing with corel painter and said that is what i need. i was trying to locate somthing that can plug in to Photoshop CS versus a stand alone program, but my boss can do what he needs to do and import it into CS.

again thanks,

Erik
Honolulu
S
SteveV
Nov 16, 2006
Painter and Photoshop work together, you can open a layered .psd file in Painter and save out the same from Painter.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Nov 21, 2006
Be very careful there…some layer styles will NOT translate to Painter and Painter effects can disappear on import to Photoshop…best bet..

From Photoshop to Painter
1. Create Layered Photoshop document>Save Layered document.
2. Create Duplicate of PS document>Flatten>Save Flattened as a .psd
Open in Painter

From Painter to Photoshop
1. Create Layered Painter Document>Save Layered Painter document as a .riff (Especially if you have used Mosaic,Dynamic Plugin Layers, etc.)
2. Clone Document>Drop Layers>Save Cloned document as a .tiff Open in Photoshop.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections