GL
Posted By
glenn_losack
Nov 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
this has happened lately. It definitely is CS2!
I am finally doing keywords and details iptc on my photos. I am typing in file info page on photos that sit in an internal ATA drive which seems to have no bugs. Pshop CS2 is on my start up drive. I have noticed that on my QUAD with 4.5 GB RAM with 10.4.8 that if i start opening up other apps or connect Firewire Drives & hours go by the typing gets slowed up inside pshop CS2 ( file info) on my internal drive ( not the startup drive ) or the startup drive ( desktop). Typing gets very delayed. If i reinstall CS2 ITS FINE!!!!!!
SO it cant be that drives right??
Why does pshop CS2 9.02 slow down ( typing in info ) as time goes by or if this has anything to do with it, opening up other apps etc…?? any clues??

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Nov 22, 2006
First question: How much RAM are you allowing Photoshop to use in Preferences?
B
Buko
Nov 22, 2006
Do you do any maintenance on the computer?

does this happen in a new user?
GL
glenn_losack
Nov 22, 2006
it was set at 70%
should i raise this?

run utilities all the time just erased the HD 4 weeks ago put a new tiger in my tank and
reinstalled everything
pshop CS2 from the disk.
pshop was freezing the computer if i went to a brush and typed in its opacity…
GL
glenn_losack
Nov 22, 2006
3 GB set for pshop CS2
R
Ram
Nov 22, 2006
No, don’t raise it. I was wondering whether you had it set too HIGH. 70% is fine.

If you wiped the drive and re-install, you could be seeing the effects of Spotlights attempting to index everything.
GL
glenn_losack
Nov 22, 2006
what would happen if i set it too high?
R
Ram
Nov 22, 2006
what would happen if i set it too high?

You would starve the OS and other running application of RAM and your whole machine would slow down, or even choke.
R
Ram
Nov 22, 2006
Of course, if you had, say, 6GB of more of RAM, you could set Photoshop’s memory allowance to 100%, since Photoshop would not use more than appx. 3.8MB of RAM anyway. So you would have plenty left over for the OS and other applications.
GL
glenn_losack
Nov 23, 2006
Ramon
thank you so much as always

I have to say that i pushed the percent from 70 to 90 to experiment. I have never seen pshop work so great.
no other app except firefox and mail is open.

will i continue to get these results?
so far so good if i just use phsop alone on this QUAD i guess!?!?
R
Ram
Nov 23, 2006
pushed the percent from 70 to 90 to experiment.

Since you have 4.5GB of RAM, that will probably be OK.

Just as a cautionary note, Firefox uses an inordinate amount of RAM. Right now it’s gobbling up some 310 GB on my system. Take that into account.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections