C
Posted By
cavein82
Nov 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a thanksgiving photo of the family that looks great, minus the completely white sky behind us. I’d like to have that become more of a blue, but nothing dramatic. I’ve already selected the parts of the photo I’d like to make changes to, but am not sure of the best tool to use for this. Any insight?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Nov 25, 2006
sky usually fades from a lighter color to a darker color
DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 25, 2006
You could use a self made gradient or a premade one on the list. you should try what buko said and make it go from a darker blue up top to transparent near the bottom and then play with opacity settings.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 25, 2006
Also, remember that most ‘sky blues’ have a lot of grey in the blue.
CP
Chris_Poisson
Nov 25, 2006
I have NEVER seen a real blue sky in a photo that is an even gradient all the way accross. That would look really fake. It is best if it is lighter somewhere along the horizon, usually in the middle. I have accompleshed this by using two or more gradient layers using different angles and using multiply to make them blend. Then it is simply a matter of making a suitable matte for any objects protruding into the sky and the horizon. A little tweeking with opacity and voila! Blue sky.
DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 25, 2006
I bet it still isnt as good as the real thing, no matter how many gradients you apply.
CB
charles badland
Nov 25, 2006
Take a picture of a blue sky.
B
Bernie
Nov 25, 2006
Quick way;
Image>adjustments>selective color.
Choose whites and adjust the sliders.
DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 25, 2006
That does not sound like a good way to achieve the desired result here. if its a white sky, how are you planning to get blue out of the technique you just suggested? have to disagree on that one.
B
Buko
Nov 25, 2006
Take a picture of a blue sky
PG
Pat_Gilmour
Nov 25, 2006
There are a few tutorials here for basic sky "improvements"
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 25, 2006
If you’ve got extra cash and want to change skies often…or add water…or

<http://www.digi-element.com/aurora/prodinfo.htm>
R
Ram
Nov 26, 2006
There are a few tutorials here for basic sky "improvements"

Did you mean to include a link, Pat?
PG
Pat_Gilmour
Nov 26, 2006
To be sure, Ramón – apologies!

<http://www.outdooreyes.com/editingindex.php3>

Pat zzzzzzzzz
B
Bernie
Nov 26, 2006
" That does not sound like a good way to achieve the desired result here. if its a white sky, how are you planning to get blue out of the technique you just suggested? have to disagree on that one."

Not the best trick, but it does work.

<http://imageshack.us>
DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 26, 2006
I started a long rebuttal,but noticed you are on absolute. i use relative most of the time,so i stand somewhat corrected,although i think thats more cyan than blue,but i see what you were suggesting now. sorry for the confusion.
B
Buko
Nov 26, 2006
Now lay a fade over it so the sky is darker at the top and you’ve got it.
R
Ram
Nov 26, 2006
Thank you, Pat.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections