ML
Posted By
Mary_Lou_Frost
Dec 2, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have scanned an old print that was printed on semi-gloss paper with a texture. The resultant image shows that texture. Can I get rid of it in Photoshop?

Mary Lou

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Dec 2, 2006
A big part of the reason for using textured paper is to prevent scanning [or copying]. It’s effective.

Check whether your scanning software has a "descreening" function; if so, rescan the print using that function. You can also experiment with blurring, dust and speck removal, etc., but the results won’t be pretty.
ML
Mary_Lou_Frost
Dec 2, 2006
I tried using smart blur a bit and it helped. I can’t find a descreening option on my Epson 2480 photo flatbed scanner.

Thanks,

ML
RM
Rick McCleary
Dec 2, 2006
Another option is to photograph the print with a good digital camera. The key is in how you light the print. Best way is to use cross-polarization–polarizer on the lens and polarizers on the lights. Set the axis of the lens polarizer at 90 degrees to the axis of the polarizers on the lights. If done right, 100% of the relfection will be eliminated. It is the reflection off the textured surface of the print that’s causing your problem.
ML
Mary_Lou_Frost
Dec 3, 2006
thanks Rick, I’m not sure I can reproduce your suggestion exactly, but I’ll give it a try.

Mary Lou
PT
Phil_Taz
Dec 3, 2006
Convert it to 800 dpi and apply median filter at about 1 or 2 on the slider, dont worry about the preview, it usually doesnt match the actual result just apply it and have a look.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections