CS
Posted By
Connie_Schulz
Dec 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use PhotoShop CS (not CS2) and run into a problem most of the time when I "Save As" to Jpeg. The jpeg looks fine until I drop it in an email (I use Apple’s Mail) The jpeg becomes mostly black.

What is going on? This doesn’t happen ALL the time, but the majority of the time.

thank you,
Connie

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 8, 2006
Does the image turn black when it reaches its destination? PC or Mac or both?

Try zipping or stuffing the jpg and see if it still happens.
B
Bernie
Dec 8, 2006
Is the image in CMYK or RGB mode?
CS
Connie_Schulz
Dec 8, 2006
I was able to solve the issue – yes – the problem was that the images were in CMYK – not RGB. Just one of those (many) things I wasn’t aware of.

Thank you.
P
Phosphor
Dec 8, 2006
"Just one of those (many) things I wasn’t aware of."

That’s one of the reasons many of us—even after using Photoshop for 10+ years—still read the forums, books, magazines, check out some new technique-of-the-month tutorials, etc.

There’s always something new to learn. Then, compound that with also working in Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, and any number of other applications and utilities great and small…it’s a never-ending process.

🙂
CS
Connie_Schulz
Dec 8, 2006
Yes, there is always something. And I most certainly appreciate forums like this!
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Dec 8, 2006
I’m curious, what does cmyk or rgb have to do with anything?
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
Windows machines picture viewers choke on CMYK unlike Macs.
CS
Connie_Schulz
Dec 8, 2006
My Mac didn’t like CMYK in Mail. As soon as I dropped the jpg in Mail it turned black. When I converted it to RGB, dropped it back in Mail, all was well.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 8, 2006
It’s not a platform issue so much as an application issue. I have stuff on my Windows machine that displays CMYK just fine.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections