JF
Posted By
john_forsythe
Feb 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having the same problem listed in the first posting in the FAQ folder. I can’t install PE2. As suggested in the FAQ discussion, using Disk Utility, I’ve repaired permissions multiple times, rebooted. Still the same result:
Error creating file
1008:5, -5000 Access denied error

Is there anything else I can try? I can’t seem to find any PE2 preference files to throw out. Would they even be created if install fails?

Very frustrated. jf

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 25, 2004
I’m not good at troubleshooting on Panther (or Jag for that matter.) That Access denied error makes me think this is a permissions problem that goes beyond the usual issues covered by the Repair Permissions utility – I’m thinking you might have to log on as root user. I ran a search for this on MacFixIt, but I’m not a member so couldn’t get the details. I did find one preview of a post where someone was having trouble installing PS 7.0 (on which Elements is based.) The first few words indicated that Adobe tech support had them log on a root user and go from there. I’m not, though, suggesting you call Adobe. I think the instructions can be found somewhere else. You might even want to check the FAQ or troubleshooting tips on the forum for full Photoshop.

Another suggestion would be to post on the Apple board or another Mac users forum of your choice. This particular issue has never come up on this forum, so I suspect in your case it’s showing up in the Elements installation but may not be directly related to Elements.

And please be sure to come back with information about what you learn. Thanks! And, of course, good luck.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 25, 2004
I’ve heard of people with these kinds of permission errors having success installing either by creating a new user with admin privledges or by installing in Root.

Rich
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 25, 2004
Yup, Richard, the link is to instructions for creating a new user account. To a coward like me that sounded less scary than installing in root. Let’s hope it works for him. 🙂
RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 25, 2004
Thanks Beth. You are so good at keeping files of links. All the advice I give is from memory. Which is less dependable than it used to be 😉
JR
Julian_Rathke
Mar 1, 2004
I’ve been having this problem too

(Error creating file 1008:5, -5000 Access denied error)

and tried the fixes suggested in the support document, i.e. run disk utility, create a new admin user. This document appears to be for a slightly different error though and neither of these worked for me.

Eventually Adobe techsupport recommended installing as root and I guess this will work – but I managed to get it installed by tracking down the problem directly:

It seems that the directory

/Library/Applications Support/Adobe/TypeSpt/

is being created by the installer with the wrong access privileges. For me it was created with read only access but required write access. So if you want to install as an admin user rather than root, then change the privileges on this directory to allow write access and run the installer again.

Hope it works.

Julian.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections