GD
Posted By
Grant_Dixon
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Today while looking for some information for an email I sent out I stumbled across this quote and I think is speaks volumes.

"36 satisfactory exposures on a roll means a photographer is not trying anything new." – Freeman Patterson

Grant

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

LM
Lou_M
Mar 2, 2004
Oh, so my 583 crummy digital photos from the holidays means I’m in good company. ๐Ÿ™‚
LB
Larry_Byers
Mar 2, 2004
Over the past 3 months, with grandchildren, the Holiday Season, and redoing a web, I now feel like a pro!
Larry
LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 2, 2004
Freeman Pattersons website is really worth a visit. I love his multiple exposures. Probably this can be done in Elements as well, but I suppose this will be rather difficult.

About quotations, I love this one by Ansel adams, Americas greatest landscape photographer:

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God’s ready to have somebody click the shutter".

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 2, 2004
Leen

Our club is sponsoring a one day work shop with Freeman Patterson in late April. So what do you want me to ask him;-)

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 2, 2004
Ask him why I cannot find his impressionistic images any more on his website.

I don’t know what kind of club that is, but he is an extremely good photographer and if his workshops are at the same level, you have got a hell of a lecturer.

I really envy you a little. He used to be one of my favourites.

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 2, 2004
Leen…" used to be " ?

so, just take a trip over to Ontario and pick me up along the way…will go see Grant and Freeman together ๐Ÿ™‚ …if Grant’s little get together will allow us….
LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 2, 2004
You are right, Jodi, "used to be".
However, for a few minutes,I considered coming over. But I suppose all places are booked allready and I couldnot justify the time.
A few years ago he was one of my favourites, but other photographers have taken his place. As time goes by one develops a different taste.

Now you can find one of my favourite artists here:
<http://56flex.dk/emil/>

I wonder if I can copy his "painting with light" and his "scratched negatives" in a more controlable way in Elements.
Moreover, how can I produce images in photoshop that are pretty similar to his ancient printing techniques?

Anyone any ideas?
I would be extremely grateful.

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 2, 2004
Every one is welcome as long as you come up with $50 American and we even supply a light lunch.

Grant
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 3, 2004
Leen

He also offers week long courses in the Maritimes. The price is a bit higher per day but you so get lodging and food. So for $1550 Canadian you can get all Freemaned out.

My taste in photographers is very eclectic and I have never had a favourite. I am much to fickle for favourites but I do hold many many in high esteem.

Grant
SR
Schraven_Robert
Mar 3, 2004
Leen,

Went to see the work of the photographer you referred to above. Quite a special style of photography.
I like his "colour" images especially.
By the way if you click on one image and wait untill it is enlarged, then go with you cursor over the image untill it changes into a little hand. Click again it opens up another window and you will find that is where he explains some of his photographic tricks.

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 4, 2004
Robert, I know, but I want to create effects like these in PSE and print on Hahnemรผhle "German Etching" paper for a sophisticated look.
I suppose this might be a wonderful way to cater for the needs of the top end of the portrait market.

Leen
SR
Schraven_Robert
Mar 4, 2004
Leen,

Have you ever considered that the scratches are made separately and then (possibbly featered) added as a layer to an image? For instance scratches on glass and then photographed using a yellow or orange filter may give you these scratches or similar.

I am thinking of sexperimenting along those lines myself. Instead of scratched glass I was thinking see through cloth then feathered into another image.

Robert
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 4, 2004
Leen, I know how to do this…i’m pretty sure I’ve done it in the past…i have to go back into the program and try and remember the steps…at the moment my kids are driving me mad…but hang in there…hope i can remember !
SR
Schraven_Robert
Mar 4, 2004
Leen,

he may also scratch the negative.

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 4, 2004
Robert, I know he does scratch the negatives.
Scratching my CD doesnot work out the right way.
Why did I go digital?

BTW, what do you mean by "sexperimenting"?
I can imagine something, but I think you mean something else. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jodi, I am eagerly waiting for your children to go to bed.

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
Leen, I remembered doing it a while back…

above your image you need to create a new layer….this will be the layer you will apply the effect to>use the little arrow in right top of layers palette>new layer>overlay>check ‘fill with 50 % grey’…now is where you have to try your hand at scratching. ( I’m assuming now that you will be working on high res images for print with a tone)…. Click keyboard D and lower opacity to around 18%….go to ‘assorted brushes’ and choose brush 25 ….go ahead and start brushing a bunch of strokes in all different directions…raise opacity and do a little more…be crazy about it…Don’t worry at this point about the scratches being on the portraits face or something…go ahead and just do it..fill the page. Now go to filters and click ‘angled strokes’ raise stroke lenght all the way up to the end…50 and set sharpness to 0. You can repeat this filter if you wish (ctrl + F ). Now duplicate the grey overlay layer and use the move tool (ctrl + T ) and turn or distort the layer any way you wish to add the scratches to other areas. You can duplicate it agin if you wish and add a little more…. Now, when you think you have something you are proud of go ahead and save the grey psd overlay layer…you’ll be able to use it over and over again…TO remove the scratches where you don’t want them…PAINT 50% grey on the overlay grey fill layer…this will remove the scratches. You can lower the opacity of the brush if you would prefer to remove the scratches just a little…not completely.

I know this sounds like alot but it really isn’t….let me know if this works for you…meanwhile we could always look for a filter plug in ๐Ÿ˜‰
SR
Schraven_Robert
Mar 5, 2004
Leen,
Since you cannot scratch your CD I suggest you create a layer either electronically or via the "real" way by photographing scratches and then insert them into your image.
One way to get these is by sooting a glass plate and then use a knitting pen or similar to create the scratches.

Sexperimenting is probably a freudian slip. But how do we know for sure? ๐Ÿ™‚

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 5, 2004
Thanks, I will try both methods.

Leen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections