JPG copies of PSD files not viewable by other viewers!

JM
Posted By
Justin_M_Lloyd
Jan 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a graphic designer. Frequently, when I save previews of projects for my clients and email them/upload them, they cannot see them. They show up as a broken link on the web, or the attachments won’t open through email.

When I use the Save For Web option, however, it works.

I thought this was a Mac issue, but even others with Macs cannot see the images.

Is there a way I can save these images without having to "save for web" so that others can see them?

I don’t have this problem with PSD files, GIFs or anything like that. Only when saving copies of PSD files as JPGs. I have tried not using optimization, saving lower quality copies, not embedding the color profiles, etc. Doesn’t always work.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jan 4, 2007
are they CMYK?
JM
Justin_M_Lloyd
Jan 4, 2007
No sir, they are RGB.
R
Ram
Jan 4, 2007
This may be too obvious, but are you including the ".jpg" extension at the end of the file name when doing a Save As?
JM
Justin_M_Lloyd
Jan 4, 2007
Yes, I’m incuding the ".jpg" extension.

I have tried viewing these images on another Dell in my house, and I can’t see them either.
R
Ram
Jan 4, 2007
Exactly how are you generating the JPEGs?
JM
Justin_M_Lloyd
Jan 4, 2007
I have a PSD file. I then flatten it and shrink it to 72 dpi. Then I go to save as, choose JPG from the dropdown menu, and save. Standard, usually about 10 as far as quality.
R
Ram
Jan 4, 2007
OK, then let’s go back to basics:

What exact version of Photoshop? CS2 9.0.2? What exact version of the OS? How much RAM, Photoshop RAM allowance, hard drive space, etc,

What routine maintenance do you perform on your machine? See next post.

Have you run DiskWarrior lately? Have you tried trashing your preferences?
R
Ram
Jan 4, 2007
I still advocate Repairing Permissions before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.
JM
Justin_M_Lloyd
Jan 4, 2007
My system is on all the time. I repair disk permissions regularly. I have 2GB of RAM and Photoshop is allowed about 70% of it. I am using CS. When I uninstall things, I always use the CleanApp program, so it should be getting rid of everything it needs to and leaving anything it needs to. I have 34 GB of space on my drive free. My drive is a 120 GB. I use my external 350 GB drive to store all files, though. I don’t run much routine maintanence besides disk permission repair. I don’t own Disk Warrior. Where can I get it? What does it do? Any other maintanence to suggest?
B
Buko
Jan 4, 2007
Try this.

save the PSD you are working on.

reduce the ppi to 72. (Don’t save the PSD after using SFW just close the file)

use Save For Web. ( no need to flatten.)

does that jpeg show up on your Dell?
R
Ram
Jan 4, 2007
Disk Warrior is an essential directory repair tool. If Disk Warrior can’t repair a disk, nothing will.

<http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/>

If you ever have a heavy crash or disk damage, you don’t want to get caught without Disk Warrior.

Create a new account and log-in as a different user. If the problem goes away, you have software corruption in your regular account. An "Archive an Install" of the OS will give you a fresh OS install while preserving your settings and all your data.

You could also run fsck -fy in single user mode, as per the instructions below.

To start up in single user mode:

Restart,

after chime, hold down Command S.

At the prompt type

fsck -fy (then hit return). [Let it run]

At the next prompt type

reboot (then hit return)
JM
Justin_M_Lloyd
Jan 4, 2007
Yes, that does work. But I am tryong to avoid using save for web. When I use that option, it changes the colors of the image slightly so that my clients aren’t seeing the colors I am truly using.
JM
Justin_M_Lloyd
Jan 4, 2007
Thank you! Is there a trial version or anything so I can try before I buy? I’ve checked the website and I only see links to purchase.
R
Ram
Jan 4, 2007
Justin,

I don’t know the answer to that. Email them.
B
Buko
Jan 5, 2007
Yes, that does work. But I am tryong to avoid using save for web. When I use that option, it changes the colors of the image slightly so that my clients aren’t seeing the colors I am truly using.

Read the FAQs
JC
Joshua_Corum
Jan 5, 2007
I have had the same problems before with jpegs. I found out that if i use a PSD file with Spot Colors and then try to save it to a jpeg it will either shut down or just not allow anyone to view the file as a jpeg. IF you are using spot coloring in your channels I would suggest duplicating the file flatening the layers and deleteing the channels then saving.
JM
Justin_M_Lloyd
Jan 5, 2007
Thank you… I am not using spot coloring in this instance, but I do sometimes so that is good to know.
S
squinting
Jan 5, 2007
On 2007-01-04 16:08:45 -0700, said:

Thank you! Is there a trial version or anything so I can try before I buy? I’ve checked the website and I only see links to purchase.

I’d like to add my vote for DiskWarrior. I don’t get any compensation from ALSOFT, but this is going to sound like a full-on shill.

I’ve never been moved to post a testimonial for a hunk of software, though there are some [Photoshop CS, iView’s several media manager programs, and Toast come to mind] which are faves I use daily. DiskWarrior is an essential for anyone running OS X imho.

I was a big user of norton utilities when I ran System 7-8-9, but it got me into trouble when I first started using Panther. A friend tipped me off to DW and i now use it with my various machines running Panther and Tiger. I’m so sold on it I may buy another copy just to have a CD with me at all times!

You definitely won’t regret the purxhase

There’s a song in my heart~
unfortunately, it’s "Under My Thumb"
DB
Darin_Bowman
Jan 24, 2007
I seriously hope someone answers this problem. This is a problem everyone in our office is having as well.. when we save previews for clients, they are not viewable..
RC
Ric_Cohn
Jan 24, 2007
I don’t know why the jpegs aren’t viewable (have you trashed your prefs?), but I do know how to fix the color shifting. Turn on "embed .icc profile" in Save for Web. That way if others open the image in an ICC aware app the color will display as you intended. If you are not working in sRGB (and perhaps even if you do) they will never look the same within a non-ICC aware app like most browsers and mail programs or if their monitors aren’t properly calibrated.
ML
Mark_Larsen
Jan 24, 2007
Just out of curiosity I tried this and in both CS1&2 when saved directly to jpeg I get "Could not complete your request because a SOFn, DQT or DHT JPEG marker is missing before a JPEG SOS marker. SFW works correctly. Don’t know what’s stripping this though.
DB
Darin_Bowman
Jan 24, 2007
After lots of trouble shooting I believe that I have figured out the problem.

When saving the .jpg file from a Macintosh, it embeds an image preview icon into the file. The solution is to delete the image preview icon from the file. You can do this a number of ways.

A)You can go into your Photoshop Preferences under "file handling…" you can choose to "Always Ask" or to "Ask When Saving"

B)You can access the file from the Finder and choose "Get Info" from the "File" menu. Select the icon and press the delete key.

C)If you are using Apple Mail to send your .jpg files to clients, in the "Edit" menu, select "Attachments/Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments". This will strip the icon from the file when sending through email.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any luck with any of these methods!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections