Posted By
edward_c_gregory
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello

Is it possible to save a selction in Elements 1?

(I beleive it is in Elements 2)

Thank you

Edward Gregory

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
yup, create a ‘new’ document slightly larger than your selection and just use the move tool and drag the selection to the new canvas ( hold down shift key to keep it centered ) and save it.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Mar 5, 2004
As Jodi points out, it is a workaround in Elements 1. In E2 you can save a selection (alpha channel). Another workaround would be to create a new layer fill the selection with black or inverse the selection and fill with black, depending on what you want. You can always reselect by control clicking the layer with the mask. You can easily hide it by clicking the eyeball in the layers palette. Kind of a faux alpha channel.

Rich
R
RobertHJones
Mar 5, 2004
Edward,

Elements 2 does have the ability to save the selection (the same as the full Photoshop’s "alpha channels")while Elements 1 does not.

You can work around that limitation in Elements 1. You may want to see Jay Arraich’s page on simulating alpha channels
http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_mmask1.htm

If you have already made a selection and want to save that selection for future use, the easiest thing to do is create a new "layer via copy". I have Elements 2 so I’m not sure if the terminology is the same for version
1. The idea is that you want to create a layer that contains only the part
of the image that was selected. After you’ve created that layer, give it a name so you’ll remember why you created it and then turn off the visibility by clicking on the layer "eyeball" so it won’t get in the way. Later, when you want to retrieve the selection, hold down the ctrl key (or the mac equivalent if you’re on that platform) and click on the layer you created for that purpose. The selection will reappear.

Bob
EC
edward_c_gregory
Mar 6, 2004
Hello, from new forum/PE1 user Edward Gregory from the UK

I would like to thank Jodi, Richard and Robert (& anyone else who may contribute to this discussion). I am most grateful to you all for spending the time to explain how to save selections in PE1.

Very pleased, really good "how to do it" instructions.

Thank you
Best Wishes

Edward
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 6, 2004
Edward, come back often!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections