Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just curious. Has anyone tried this?

<http://www.sandisk.com/retail_dpv.html>

How well does it work?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 5, 2004
No but it looks kind of cool. Not a bad price either.

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
I saw an el cheapo version at Radio Shack…I know I know,,,don’t boo me…had to buy speaker wires…and it had a slot for every imaginable memory card…I think it was just under $40.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Mar 5, 2004
Hi, Jodi. Glad you’re feeling better. Are you sure it wasn’t the same one? This one supports CompactFlash, SmartMedia, Memory Stick,SD and MMC, and the MSRP is only $49.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
Barb, thanks, I assumed since radio Shack was selling it that it would not be a name brand item….i don’t think it was the San Disk. Honestly, Radio Shack stays in business because of their credit card business. They sell alot of low end stuff in these parts.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Mar 5, 2004
They sell alot of low end stuff in these parts.

Well, that’s true all over. But you’re right–it’s probably just similar.
JM
Jack Mac
Mar 5, 2004
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:09:00 -0800, wrote:

Hi, Jodi. Glad you’re feeling better. Are you sure it wasn’t the same one? This one supports CompactFlash, SmartMedia, Memory Stick,SD and MMC, and the MSRP is only $49.

CompUSA shows the Sandisk Photo Viewer for $39.22.
Sounds good enough to try!

Jack Mac
ML
Marty_Landolt
Mar 5, 2004
Joe, Yeh yeh, I saw it and don’t have to be reminded … wish you folks would stop tempting me (ha ha). All my allotted green stuff is set aside for a DVD drive and the Nikon D70. That should last me a few months, provided my band account doesn’t get the hick-ups!
Marty
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
Marty, aw c’mon…50 bucks is nothing….you can’t even find good casket knobs at that price 🙂 In other words…you know…enjoy life !!!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
oh, that was in poor taste wasn’t it ? 🙂
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 5, 2004
I liked it 🙂
Nice and sardonic, made the point.

Mac
BG
Byron Gale
Mar 5, 2004
While I don’t have an answer to the original question, I can offer a bit of insight…

I have had it in mind for some time now that I would like to have one of these (or this type of) gizmos. Given the current discussion, I was reminded that I needed to know whether the device would read the newer Memory Stick Pro — so I went to SanDisk’s web site and sent them a query.

That was just this morning, and they’ve already replied back (bonus points, in MY book!) with the answer: "Unfortunately, the DPV does not read the Memory Stick Pro. We will be releasing the DPV II in the middle of April that will read the Memory Stick Pro."

The part about the Mem. Sticks may not be important to others, but the fact that a new model is due within a few weeks may be interesting to those considering a purchase. I have no information with regard to any other improvements or changes from the current model other than that posted above. I think it stands to reason, though, that they would incorporate any glitch-fixes in the newer model, as applicable.

FWIW.

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 6, 2004
Byron, great work ! Definietly worth the wait…hmmmmmm, but will the price take a hike ?
AT
Andrew_Turek
Mar 6, 2004
That’s one nice toy. So far as I know it has not hit this country (UK) yet but I will watch for it eagerly.

If anyone reading this has one, could I trouble them to see if it carries any indication of being able to cope with the ASC used in most of the world outside the US, in which case it will say "100-240V 50/60 Hz" like the AC charger/adapter on every digital camera and laptop?

There are times when not being in the US market is an advantage: we get the improved version after the first-on-the-blockers in the USA have found the snags. Colour television is an obvious example; the American public wanted it now so they got the first more-or-less working version, namely NTSC which stands for Never The Same Colour. PAL is much more stable.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Mar 6, 2004
Jodi, no no, not poor taste at all. I just might not have a coffin that closes. How comes all the good stuff comes out two months after I want it.
Marty
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 6, 2004
Marty

Tell me about it I have been involved with computer for over 25 years now and every time I purchase something the next month out comes a better, more spiffy, and cheaper gadget than I just bought

Grant

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections