Why do CMYK psd documents "save as pdf" as RGB?

WV
Posted By
William_V_Patterson
Jan 31, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I create a CMYK document, save it as a Photoshop document (.psd), and then do a "save as Photoshop PDF," the resulting pdf is always in RGB. How can I control the color mode of the resulting pdf?

The same thing happens if I create the "save as pdf" option in the Print dialog. Hmmmm.

Thanks in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Carl_Stawicki
Jan 31, 2007
What version of Photoshop?

In CS2 you have all the PDF options when you save as PDF. Look through your option to see if you’re specifying a mode conversion.

Creating a PDF from the print dialog is bad news for anything critical, and will convert to RGB (although I haven’t tried all the options).

Carl.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 1, 2007
To expand on Carl’s response, CS2 gives you most/all of Distiller’s PDF options, so if you have a Distiller setting based on RGB, then that’s what mode your saved file will be in.
B
Buko
Feb 1, 2007
Why do CMYK psd documents "save as pdf" as RGB?

Because that’s what you told Photoshop to do.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 1, 2007
As Buko said.

Make sure that you select "No Color Conversion" in the "Output" tab when saving as a PDF.
R
Ram
Feb 1, 2007
(Glad to see you back, Ann. Hope your hubby has recovered well and all is OK.)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 2, 2007
Thank you Ramón for your kind message.

His recovery is going wonderfully well and quickly — and we are both delighted with the results.
R
Ram
Feb 2, 2007
Good to hear, Anne.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections