Posted By
lisa_rentz
Feb 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there-
I have OS10.4.8 and Photoshop 7.0. I create files that end up being shared with various PC users– for proofing a document, for instance. These PC users can not view or open files that I export as JPGs from photoshop, but they can view JPGs that have been saved for the web.

The problem is that the exported JPGs are at the high resolutions that I need, and the webJPGs are not. what’s going on with the exported JPGs? I thought one factor might be the emailing, however the exported JPGs don’t work when I ftp them to a public folder for downloading.

any advice will be appreciated–
Lisa

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Feb 6, 2007
Do you include the 3 letter extension?

are your saved Jpgs CMYK?

SFW will by default save an RGB file
LR
lisa_rentz
Feb 6, 2007
do include .jpg

they are in CMYK mode

these particular images are grayscale, so maybe I’ll switch to that mode.

so- should I include the extension (and why are PCs still having extension problems???) and which mode is best for color images?

thanks for your quick response!
ML
Mark_Larsen
Feb 6, 2007
lisa, see previous post from a week or 2 ago. See if the solutions offered by Darin help. <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc2beae/20>
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 6, 2007
Depends on what they are using to view the files and perhaps the method of transfer (though FTPed files should not be a problem). I have no trouble whatsoever opening CMYK jpegs in Photoshop on my Windows computer. I have often moved files from the Mac to PC without a hitch.

Make sure the recipients have appropriate software or make the files RGB.
B
Buko
Feb 6, 2007
Some windows viewers can’t read CMYK files
LR
lisa_rentz
Feb 6, 2007
thanks– all these good suggestions apply, and even seem to be working already– but it does seem that is also depends on the user at the other end. too many variables, and unfortunately the people I work with know even less about their computers than I do.
but all this helped a lot.
JG
Jeffry_Gugick
Feb 7, 2007
Just so you know… when you save a jpg using "save as for web" it automatically converts it to RGB. When you save a JPG normally it does not. My guess is that your PC friends are having an issue with the CMYK format. Which is common among non-graphic people. Not just PC people. Although on a Mac ‘Preview’ opens just about all of the formats…

So… before sending out the proof – convert to RGB and then do a normal save in JPG format. But keep your CMYK file for production.

cheers!
Jeff

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections