Sluggish Intuos 3 tablet on Photoshop CS3.

GC
Posted By
George_Coghill
Apr 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just wanted to update this thread, as I just yesterday made the leap to Leopard. Finally got off the aging G4 on to a nice new Mac Pro. I had some reserbvations from this thread, as well as the InDesign issues some users are experiencing.

So far, I have had none of the Wacom issues when using Photoshop – all has been working as expected. And I used the OS X Migration Assistant, moving from the PPC G4 on 10.4 to 10.5 on the Mac Pro. Risky, but I thought I would trust Apple.

I did have issues with CS3 – first InDesign had some horrible bug that wouldn’t let it launch. Adobe’s installer sucks – even if you select a single app to uninstall, it just reinstalls all of CS3 anyways. Frustrating. Then AI wouldn’t upgrade, so I just did a Remove using the installer of the entire Creative Suite. I reinstalled everything but Version Cue, ran all the updates, and now all seems good so far. Not much real-world usage, but enough to know the Intuos3 isn’t having lag or chunky brushstroke issues.

After the Remove/Re-install, I did no manual tweaking to settings at all. I suppose my rambling point here is to suggest perhaps doing a Remove/Re-install of CS3, although I was not seeing these issues before doing so. I just know it fixed some other issues I was having with other apps, and the clean CS3 install seemed to have cleared those things up.

The only downside would be having to use Adobe’s horrible instasller – man was that thing making me frustrated on top of already being annoyed.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GC
Greg_Clifton
Apr 4, 2008
Cool – that’s great you’re not having the Wacom/PS issues 🙂 I have a sneaky feeling that the issues would still be there even if I did remove / reinstall CS3 but may be worth a try.

If you could post a screen grab of your good quality brushstrokes (drawn at different speeds and different angles with a hard round 5px brush) that would be cool thanks

Greg
GC
George_Coghill
Apr 4, 2008
Yeah, like I said I was not having issues using the Intuos3 on CS3 after the 10.5/Mac Pro upgrade. But the remove/reinstall did clear up other issues so I thought I would pass it along as a suggestion.

Here’s some sample brushstrokes:

< http://georgecoghill.com/images/art/_temp/photoshop-brushstr okes.jpg>

Let me know if you need more.
GC
Greg_Clifton
Apr 4, 2008
Cool thanks George 🙂

The only other brushstrokes I’d like to see to check if you have this wobble at all is drawing at 25% or even 12.5% you could try this with a 1000x1000pixel canvas. Try to draw as long smooth a line as possible like this – comfortable speed. If the resulting exaggerated wobble is even and has regular ‘steps’ then you may have a reduced version of the line quality issue.

< http://www.lordart.co.uk/filedump/drawing%20at%20zoom%202.pn g>

Thanks again
B
bratsi
Apr 6, 2008
Actually George, if you look at the brush strokes you have shown in your image, they are wobbly, definately not smooth! I was hoping you didn’t, but you actually do have the same issue the rest of us are having!
B
Buko
Apr 6, 2008
Are you guys all on Intel boxes I just don’t see it on a G5, Tiger or Leopard.
R
Ram
Apr 6, 2008
Nor on a Macintosh PPC, 10.4.11.
GC
George_Coghill
Apr 6, 2008
@bratsi – I do see the jaggy lines, but after working with more natural-speed strokes, I attributed the wobble to my hand and the sensitivity/resolution of the Intuos3. I was moving my hand quite slowly when making those marks.

I still have 10.4.11 on the MacBook for now, I will have to try it out there and compare.

I was demoing the graphics app Acorn, and the jagged/angled curved lines I saw there (inversely happen during fast brushstrokes) was what I thought was being discussed on this thread. I will have to go back and review the screenshots by others, projects have been keeping me busy up to the eyeballs and I posted based on memory of the older threads here.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections