Posted By
carl_sutherland
Apr 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help,

I thought I understood this thread and I thought it would lead to what I want. Download everything to iPhoto/copy current download to CD for archive/double click on image to open in PSE/edit image/transfer back to iPhoto to show edited image only in iPhoto window but saving original file in iPhoto library in case I would ever want it.

However, I just did that. I imported from camera, copied to CD, double clicked on an image, changed file to PSD and saved, made copy of PSD and saved PSD, edited copy, saved edited copy changing to JPG and having edited copy replace original JPG. However, in iPhoto window, the original thumbnail shows but the edited image shows up in PSE on double clicking. Also, when I use that original thumbnail for a slide show the edited image shows up in the show. Finally, when I click on "revert to original" it seems to do so. I guess its all working although I find it scary to click on the "replace original". Is there a way of replacing the original thumbnail with the edited thumbnail? Have I done what is being discussed? I know I did not save a PSD labelled as a JPG. I changed the PSD into a JPG.

Carl

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Joe_Henry1000
Apr 1, 2004
Carl,

Is there a way of replacing the original thumbnail with the edited thumbnail?

The thumbnail ought to update automatically as you make changes to the image. Not that it matters but what version of iPhoto are you using?

Joe
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 1, 2004
Carl,

Its way too scary for me 🙂

Wendy
MR
Mark_Reibman
Apr 1, 2004
Carl,

I seem to remember the same thing happening to me in the past. The thumbnail will not show the change in ‘organize’ but it will in ‘edit’ ,etc. It may not be anything to worry about unless it happens consistently. If you want to do an experiment. Duplicate the image within iPhoto so you have an extra copy. Then edit your image in Elements by using the invert command, and do the same procedure of getting it back into iPhoto. Can you see the changes in your thumbnail? It should be really obvious. You don’t really need for the change to appear in the thumbnail as long as it’s not effecting the primary image. Thumbnails are more like your icons for your main file.

Also, this procedure for returning a psd, by replacing with .jpg, does not touch the original. But you have everything already backed up on CD anyway, right?
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Apr 1, 2004
Mark/Carl,

I just did an experiment in iPhoto 2 & 4 and in both cases the edit did show on the thumbnail in Organize so I’m thinking something else is going on.

Joe
MR
Mark_Reibman
Apr 1, 2004
Joe,

It works fine for me almost always. It’s just on one or two occasions it hasn’t worked. I’m wondering if this is a consistent thing for Carl or just a rarity. And that’s why I suggested the invert image experiment.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Apr 1, 2004
Good idea Mark. I wonder if deleting a plist might help?

Joe
SS
Susan_S.
Apr 1, 2004
Quitting iphoto and reopening sometimes also updates if it get fussy – in iphoto2 changes to color profiles always require this to be recognised. But usually edits show up fairly quickly – although in iphoto2 with my larger photo library they can take a bit longer. And iphoto is buggy……I’ve had a couple of thumbnails/previews get corrupted – they were looking pixelated and nothing I could do would get them to correctly recognise a reedit (i deleted every preference and cache file I could find!). In the end I had to revert to the original, duplicate the photo and re-edit.
Susan S
CS
carl_sutherland
Apr 2, 2004
Lets see if I remember everything.

I am using iPhoto 4.0.1.

If I do as I think Mark suggests, duplicate in iPhoto, open the duplicate in PSE, use the invert command, then save as jpg or as a psd labelled as a jpg, I still have the same thumbnail but the inverted image shows up in a slide show or reopeening in PSE. If I close iPhoto then re-open iPhoto the original thumbnail is still there. After I did the slide show the thumbnail changed to the inverted one.

I tend to acquire images in batches, usually as part of some outing. I usually get 75-150 images/outing. So, I usually download to iPhoto then copy from iPhoto library to a CD. Then I do an update of my home folder to my Maxtor HD with Retrospect Express as a duplicate. Then, about every 6 months or so I burn a DVD with that time periods images.

Any suggestions are welcome. I guess I still want to edit in PSE and have the edited image and its thumbnail replace the original in the iPhoto window, but still have the original jpg image available that can be brought up for re-edit. I will settle for an easy way to have the edited PSD show in the iPhoto window without messing up the original.

Thanks

Carl

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections