spots of pantone color on black and white photo?

A
Posted By
adunate
Jul 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible to create a spot of Pantone color on a black and white photo? I did my example with the channel mixer and a history brush, however it’s in cmyk. Can I get the red into a Pantone so I have a 2-color photo?

<http://www.adunate.com/flying_jason.jpg>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2008
You need a Grayscale with an additional Spot Color Channel.
A
adunate
Jul 28, 2008
Thanks. How do I do this?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 28, 2008
look in the help menu under CMYK and Grayscale and Spot colors within the application of Photoshop.
A
adunate
Jul 31, 2008
I understand how to convert my image from CMYK to Pantone, however, I’d like to convert just the one color to Pantone, while leaving the rest of the image as greyscale.

I cannot find instruction on how to do this. Anyone?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 31, 2008
Just copy the information that you want from the grayscale image into the Spot channel.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 31, 2008
… and, if you don’t want the Spot color to Overprint, knock out that part of the image from the Grayscale channel — but remember to leave a sufficient Trap.
AR
alan_ruta
Jul 31, 2008
FYI (just in case) the trapping thing can be (IMHO) a bit tricky. If you have a perfect mask then you need to min or max the cmyk and/or spot a pixel or two. Also the amount of pixels depends on your effective resolution, e.g. 1 pixel at 300 dpi, placed at 100% should be good. However if the image is placed at 30 percent or has a rez of 400 or 600dpi the number change.

alan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections