SS
Posted By
steven_sunshine
Jul 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi there. new to this forum. kind of simple, but for the life of me I can’t seem to get a 1/4 in border on an 8×10 sheet of photo paper. I use a mac G5 running tiger, photoshop cs2 and an epson 1280 silver printer…my files are 4×6 # 300 dpi..i’ve tried all manner of settings, i.e. image size, document size, all to no avai..can someone be kind enough to lend a hand?
many thanks in advance, Steven

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DR
Donald_Reese
Jul 28, 2008
Clarify what you are trying to do. is it print multiple 4×6 on an 8×10 sheet, or trying to make an 8×10 from a 4×6 original, or something else?
SS
steven_sunshine
Jul 28, 2008
Hi Donald.
Simply trying to make an 8×10 image, 1/4 inch borders all around. possible? how I long for an enlarger at this point! even full frame proving to be beyond me. oy.
B
Buko
Jul 28, 2008
If my memory serves me correctly, one edge will always be at least 5/16ths or 3/8ths because thats the gripper edge. Its been so long since I used a 1280. That printer is a bit old mine died years ago.
DR
Donald_Reese
Jul 29, 2008
Well the first problem i can see is your proportions are not the same, if you are planning to make an 8×10 from a 4×6. you will need to crop something off to get the larger size. 4×6 is a ratio of 2to3 and 8×10 is 2 to 2.5. if you enter 8×10 in the crop bar and drag across your 4×6,you will have to decide what you can afford to lose. 8×12 would be proportional if you have paper large enough. Shooting 35mm, i usually print either 6×9, 8×12 or 12×18 on my epson, and all those sizes allow the whole frame to be used. when i print, i check minimize margins in the printer dialog and i automatically get a white border.
B
Buko
Jul 29, 2008
All that and I’m still pretty sure the 1280 did not allow 1/4 inch all around.
DR
Donald_Reese
Jul 29, 2008
Couldnt you fool the printer by setting up your document somehow with a white border built in?
B
Buko
Jul 29, 2008
No because the printer needs 5/16 or 3/8 gripper. One edge will that big so the best thing you can do is put 3/8ths borders

The 1280 is like 449 years old in computer years.
CC
Conrad_Chavez
Jul 29, 2008
I retired my 1280 a little while ago. What is the name of the paper size you’ve chosen? On Epsons of that vintage, the trailing edge margin is bigger (.56 inches) than the other three by default, unless you select the paper size that says "Minimize Margins." For example, if you were choosing "Letter," you need to choose "Letter (Minimize Margins)." Then all the margins will be the same, and you’ll finally get the maximum possible print area and proper centering without the need for any time-consuming "fooling the printer" tricks.

The solution is in the Epson printer driver, not in Photoshop, which is why everything you’re trying in Photoshop has no effect on the problem. Photoshop can only work within the area handed to it by the printer driver. Once you get the printer driver to behave, Photoshop can do what you expect.
SS
steven_sunshine
Jul 29, 2008
Bless you all for your great tips and information which helped alot! Cheers, Steven
SS
steven_sunshine
Jul 29, 2008
trying to download a driver for the 1280 and it won’t work, so I can’t even get that minimize margins options which I bet would work. if I were to upgrade photo printers for the G5, any recommendations?
B
Buko
Jul 29, 2008
I don’t think there was a minimize margins for the 1280.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 29, 2008
There was no "minimize margins" for the 1270 — and the 1280 was very similar.

Your best bet is to set your required 0.25" margins for the other edges and just trim-off the surplus from the 0.56" margin on the Gripper edge (the trailing or bottom edge).
CC
Conrad_Chavez
Jul 30, 2008
I’ve owned both.

The 1270 had no capability for Minimize Margins. The 1280 did.
AW
Anne_Watman
Aug 9, 2008
I also have the 1280 and it’s supposed to have a borderless print feature. I’m trying to enter a photo into a contest that has to be a minimum of 8 x 10 and, of course, I can’t get it. What’s interesting to me is that it’s much easier to set borders in Illustrator. I’ve been able to get rid of that "gripper edge" in Illustrator, but I can’t even find the anything in Photoshop. I’m using a PowerPC G5 and Photoshop CS2. Any ideas?

Thanks, Anne
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 9, 2008
Anne,

I’ve been able to get rid of that "gripper edge" in Illustrator, but I can’t even find the anything in Photoshop.

Printer settings are a function of your printer’s software, not Photoshop. Also, check settings in "Page Setup…" before heading for the "Print…" menu.

Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections