MF
Posted By
Mark_Finke
Dec 11, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use the polygon lasso a lot with images viewed at 300%, so there is only a small portion of the image within the viewable frame at any one time. While using polygon lasso, if I move the cursor over the border of the viewable portion of the image, it goes flying out of control across the photo. I tried slowing down my pointer in the Control Panel but it did not help. I have found this problem in both PS 7 and CS. I never had this problem on my Mac. On the Mac, when I moved the cursor over the edge of the frame, it scrolled at a reasonable speed across the image.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 11, 2006
When you get close to the edge, press the space bar to move the image with the hand tool. When you release the space bar it becomes the poly tool again and you can continue on. If you use Full Screen view, it’s even easier.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 11, 2006
Use the Pen tool. It always goes exactly where you want it to.
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 11, 2006
It always goes exactly where you want it to.

Well, only because you have to do exactly what I suggest – use the hand tool to move the image.
C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 12, 2006
It was Scott Byer, I think, who acknowledged that this was due to a piece of code which had not been updated for several versions and needs to be adjusted to accommodate the much faster processors of today’s PCs.

So we can reasonably hope that this will be addressed in the next release. Meanwhile, Mark, you could try using "maximize" instead of "full screen" – otherwise Tony’s tip about the temporary hand tool is a good work-around.
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 12, 2006
Well, as far as I’ve been able to tell Chris, when they added the ability to move beyond image borders in Full Screen view (F), they have added whatever code, because it doesn’t scroll wildly in that view like it does in other views.
MF
Mark_Finke
Dec 12, 2006
Thanks for all the advice. The problem is not nearly as bad in Full Screen. And the temp hand tool is also a handy function.
C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 12, 2006
…move beyond image borders in Full Screen view (F), they have added whatever code, because it doesn’t scroll wildly…

Have I missed an update? "Full Screen" still scrolls as wildly as ever here when you take the marquee near the edge of the screen. 🙁
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 12, 2006
Not for me (and apparently Mark), mate. It is noticeably "dampened".

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections