OD
Posted By
Ottilie_Dyke
Dec 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In CS2, I have some actions that contain ‘save as’ commands. I recorded the actions without changing the filename, but when I use them to batch process files and I (x) the ‘override action save as commands’ (as instructed in help file) it still won’t let me save the results in a different folder to the one originally recorded in the action. Ideally I would like to be able to save in a folder of my choice and add a serial number to the name of the resultant file – is this possible with save as commands or am I barking up the wrong tree? Surely I don’t have to re-record the action every time I want to use it to save in a different folder?

Thanks…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

OD
Ottilie_Dyke
Dec 12, 2006
Ok scratch that. I realised I had actually recorded a ‘save for web’ command, which is a totally different kettle of fish and won’t let you override it in the batch. D’oh. Anybody know any way to save a file as if doing a ‘save for web’ (ie junking metadata etc) but using save as and other action-recordable stuff? The file size is really critical here, and save for web does a great job…
DR
Danny_Raphael
Dec 13, 2006
If you could live with a ‘two-pass’ process, one way would be a 3 action solution:

Action 1: Includes the "Save for web…" command that would save files in the "fixed folder" of your choice.

Action 2: Includes the "Save as…" command.

Action 3: In this action record two Batch commands:
* Batch 1: Action 1, Source = Folder \Source of your choice Destination = Folder \[whatever folder recorded in Action 1]

* Batch 2: Action 2 Source = Folder \[whatever folder recorded in Action 1] Destination = Folder \Destination of your choice
.. (x) override Action "save as" commands
File Naming: As needed

—————-

Not elegant, but functional.

Notes:
* There would be some quality loss due to the second save in .jpg format. Whether this tolerable or not would be your call.
* Before each play of Action 3 one would need to remember to delete the files in \[whatever folder recorded in Action 1]

Does this help?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections