G
Posted By
georgenorris
Aug 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In illustrator you open the preferences under Type and adjust the Size/Leading. If I need to do subtle minute adjustments, I’ll set this to a small amount.

Is this possible in Photoshop. I know I can use the Text Palette to type in kerning values but that is annoying–to be honest. When I use the option+arrow for kerning it just moves too much.

Any way to do this????

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GB
g_ballard
Aug 7, 2008
have you tried PS Help menu
G
georgenorris
Aug 7, 2008
Of course, I wouldn’t have bothered logging in to this forum and typing that out if I hadn’t done that first.
B
Buko
Aug 7, 2008
have you looked at the character panel?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 7, 2008
george,

You haven’t told us which version of Photoshop you’re using, or your OS. That said, I’m gonna assume you’re using Photoshop CS3. Type preferences only cover, smart quotes, Asian text options, missing glyph protection, English font names, and Font preview size.

Although it has some typographic capabilities, Photoshop is also NOT designed with a primary focus on typesetting. Illustrator and (especially) InDesign are better (easier, faster, comprehensive, convenient) typographic tools.

The Help menu does explain using type in Photoshop — as well as expose the limitations of the application.

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 7, 2008
and kerning is not size and leading
EN
Eugene_Norris
Aug 7, 2008
When I use the option+arrow for kerning it just moves too much

Is a snap-to-grid option turned on somewhere?
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 7, 2008
Place the cursor between two characters, highlight the value in the kerning box and use the Up and Down arrows.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 8, 2008
Agreed, Illustrator and InDesign are better typographic tools. Although Photoshop indeed is not designed with a primary focus on typesetting, PS actually has very comprehensive typesetting capabilities, not just some typographic capabilities.

Select text, then experiment with the options under Window/Character palette.
G
georgenorris
Aug 9, 2008
Yes I am aware "Kerning is not size/leading", What I was trying to explain is that in Illustrator, under preferences the "size/leading" ALSO controls the kerning resolution when you use quick keys. Understand?
G
georgenorris
Aug 9, 2008
Using the arrow keys is what I am doing know, I guess that works OK. Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections