Changing from "Pass Through" as Default in Blend Mode in a Group Folder Layer Set

CR
Posted By
colene_riffo
Aug 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Forum gurus!
Using a MacBook Pro, 10.5.4. Painting with CS2. My question is two-fold.

When the Group layer folder in a layer set is selected, it is displaying the "Pass Through" blend mode by default. Is there a special convenience to this? (Best use for pass through blend mode)

Also, How may I change the default in this mode to be "Normal" as the setting when creating a Group folder layer set?

Thanks!!
Colene

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

ML
Matthias_Lemcke
Aug 8, 2008
Hi Colene,

I think you can’t change the default blend mode of a layer group. Would be a bad idea anyway, because "pass through" is the only blend mode that does not change the look of your image. With any of the other blend modes as default you’d constantly be in danger of causing unintentional changes. Choosing a different blend mode is and should be a conscious decision on your part.

Greetings,
M.
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 8, 2008
Well that’s not entirely true, is it Matthias? For example, if colene has an adjustment layer within the group, that adjustment will affect all layers within and beneath the group when the blend mode is set to Pass Through. If the mode is changed to Normal (or any other option) the adjustment layer’s effect is confined to those layers within the set.
ML
Matthias_Lemcke
Aug 8, 2008
Hi Doug, what I meant is this: Select a bunch of layers and hit "command G" (or create a new group and put the layers inside). Because the default is "pass through" the image does not change. If the default were for example "normal" the effect of adjustment layers would become confined to the newly created group, therefore changing the image. So "pass through" is a reasonable default for layer groups.
JM
J_Maloney
Aug 8, 2008
Option-shift-n will change to normal. Not as quick as it already being normal, but pretty quick.
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 8, 2008
Matthias, now I understand. We’re both right from different perspectives. If you want the adjustment layer (should there be one within the group) to affect all layers below the group (perhaps because that’s the way the image looked before you made the group in the first place), then Pass Through is your blend mode. If you want that adjustment layer to affect only those layers within the group (which I often do), then Normal (or some other) is your blend mode.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections