MS
Posted By
Marie_S.
Aug 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a CMYK file a co-worker did (who’s not here no more) with about 10 different layers and a couple of them have the same CMYK color – some layers are boxes and some are type.

I have to change the cmyk value of one of the colors (that are on mulitple layers) to a different value.

Is there an easy way i can select that one cmyk color (instead having to click on them individually) and change the color globally throughout.

I know Indesign and Illustrator have merge swatches – does photoshop have that capability to change colors globally on different layers?

I hope I’ve made sense of this.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 8, 2008
Are these areas of color that you need to change distinct and hard-edged, like a graphic? Or are they diffused throughout the layers as in a photograph?
MS
Marie_S.
Aug 8, 2008
one layer is a big solid box and type is on quite a few of the other layer with the same CMYK values -i just want to change the color (without having to click on each individual layer) and change it to a different CMYK value throughout the whole file. Does this make sense?

B
Buko
Aug 8, 2008
no can do
JM
J_Maloney
Aug 8, 2008
Marie:

The short answer is no, you can’t. You’re much better off working on the individual layers according to their characteristics.

One way you could globally change the color is use the select… color range function to get a selection of the color you need to change, then create a new adjustment layer… hue/saturation using the color range selection as a mask. Tweak the HSL values to match the new color you need. Any feathered values (say, 50% of the original color) might be ignored.

Another (better) way would be to go to each layer and use the layer effects to add a color overlay effect with the new color. That’s the way I’d go about it. It will work with screens. The great advantage to this method is that you can option-drag the color effect from layer to layer, so it is very quick to implement (assuming you know which layers to alter). Command-control click will help you identify which layer has the color you need to change.

J
MS
Marie_S.
Aug 8, 2008
thank you all very much for your input – have a great weekend!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections