S
Posted By
Suprastar3000
Aug 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My version of photoshop CS3 (10.0.1) has suddenly started to crash whenever I click on the Type Tool. I get the clock face and a few seconds later the "I" bar flashes on,.. but then the program crashes.

Error message:
Could not complete request because of a program error – ok. "OK" doesnt work so I have to ‘Force Quit Application’.

I’ve tried creating a smaller document size to see if its memory related but I get the same result. Turned off duplicate fonts and looked for missing or corrupt fonts. Also tried reinstalling and deleting preferences. No improvement.

Both Illustrator CS3 and Photoshop CS work fine with fonts. Only photoshop CS3 is effected.

Photoshop CS3 10.0.1
Avilable RM 1963 MB
Photoshop can use 1766mb (90%)

OSX 10.5.4
Dual 1.8 GHz G5 mac
2 GB DDR SDRAM
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 900 MHz

Fonts
Extensis Suitcase x1
Font book

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 11, 2008
S,

My automatic reaction to ANY problems that appear to be associated with text (in any application) is to check for corrupted or duplicate fonts on your system.

If you have Font AgentPro, it’s pretty easy to ferret out the troublemakers. You may have missed one if you did your check manually. Also be aware that you may not have the same fonts active in different applications.

Neil
S
Suprastar3000
Aug 11, 2008
Hi Neil,
Thanks for your quick reply.

I’ve used ‘Resolve duplicate’ in Font book on all fonts. The few suspect fonts left I have turned off.

Still get the photoshop bug but like you I’m guessing this is a font issue.

Any other ideas?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 11, 2008
S,

Well, that still doesn’t eliminate corrupted fonts. It happens. Unfortunately, from what I know, FontBook does not do as thorough a job as Font AgentPro does. If you use a lot of fonts, its also a better font manager than the former.

The alternative is trial-and-error. "Tedious" would be the kind way of describing that process. <g>

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 11, 2008
Font Book is crap.

FontAgent Pro is the best out there.
S
Suprastar3000
Aug 12, 2008
Think I have found the issue.

Some how managed to damaged my System/Library/Fonts.

Is there anywhere I can down load a new complete set from to replace them.

Thanks all 🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 12, 2008
S,

If you regularly do a system backup (via the excellent, easy-to-use, cheap utility SuperDuper!), you’re golden.

If that is not the case, my feeling is that you probably cannot simply copy them off your Mac OS X install disc. And somehow I doubt that you can find a legal download as it is protected intellectual property.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 12, 2008
Archive and install
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 12, 2008
Kinda what I feared…

Neil
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2008
You could try Pacifist to extract just the fonts from the installer package on the original installation media.

However, I very much fear that you only "managed to damage" the system fonts and nothing else. :/

I would definitely go for an Archive and Install of the OS.
S
Suprastar3000
Aug 13, 2008
ok guys.

Thanks very much for your help.

Its strange that all my other applications work fine including Photpshop CS and Illustrator CS/CS3.

I’ll try archive and install.
B
Buko
Aug 13, 2008
Before an A & I try a new user. Do you have the crashing?
S
Suprastar3000
Aug 14, 2008
Buko,Thanks.

YES, it works fine with a new user account!

What would you suggest next?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 14, 2008
S,

It sounds like your old user account is somehow corrupted. Don’t use it anymore. Build out your new user account as you need it to work.

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 14, 2008
First I would see if trashing prefs will clear things up if not then an A & I will create a fresh user account but keep all your settings and apps. An A & I is much faster (about 45 minutes) than moving everything to a new account
S
Suprastar3000
Aug 14, 2008
Strangely photoshop has started working again.

Long before Time Machine I backed-up onto an old external hard dive. Luckily enough among the old files I found the system fonts.

Couldn’t delete current versions, even after unlocking, but I think I managed to overwrite them with the older versions.

So far so good.
Photoshop seems to work.

Thanks for your help guys.
If it starts up again, I’ll create a new user account and go from there. Cheers 😀
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 14, 2008
Buko,

An A & I is much faster (about 45 minutes) than moving everything to a new account

Good point!

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 14, 2008
the new user just gives you the info where the problem exists.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 15, 2008
I think I just worked out that an "Archive and Install" is the same as a repair install on Windows. Am I right?
B
Buko
Aug 15, 2008
I have no idea.

An Archive and install installs a fresh system and a fresh user without destroying the previously installed applications and system settings. After an A & I you will find a folder called Previous System on your system drive this is your old settings and can be deleted when you are sure everything is running as it should. I would not delete it right away but wait a few weeks.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 15, 2008
Yes, it’s the same (only different). B)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections