S
Posted By
samsharpe
Aug 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My PhotoShop CS has decided to start opening my images at 200dpi instead of 300dpi. This started a couple of days ago, and it is driving my crazy, plus it will send my editors through the roof. I have done nothing to the program or the computer, it just started to do it. It does it with all my images, ones I shot yesterday, as well as ones I shot 4 years ago. When I check my "image size" box, the image is the same meg size as the 300dpi images, just opens at 200dpi with the proportions equal to 200dpi. Any help on how to get it back right would be appreciated! Thanks, Sam Sharpe.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Aug 15, 2008
"It just started to do it."

That is a tell-tale sign that it’s time to trash/reset Preferences as per the FAQs.
B
Buko
Aug 15, 2008
you can also change the PPI (not DPI) in imagesize with resample off.
S
samsharpe
Aug 16, 2008
Is the FAQs located on the Adobe site? And if so, on what part? I can’t seem to find it. Thanks, Sam Sharpe
P
Phosphor
Aug 16, 2008
Sam,

At the very top of the topics list.
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee9d6b1/>

Here’s what you need:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c057d1b>
S
samsharpe
Aug 18, 2008
Ed,
I tried this, and there is no Adobe PhotoShop CS Settings in the Preferences Folder located in the Library Folder. What am I doing worng?
Thanks,
Sam
P
Phosphor
Aug 18, 2008
Did you try the Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop method?

Perhaps you are in the wrong Libtrary folder. Do a Find on PhotoShop CS Settings.
S
samsharpe
Aug 18, 2008
I have done the Option+Apple+Shift methiod a half a dozen times, and it does not work. I hate to be real "Dumb", but how do I do a "Find" on Photoshop CS Settings? I have never done a "Find" on anything. I usually know where to find it on my computer. Thanks. Sam
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2008
thee path to the prefs is in the FAQ too.
S
samsharpe
Aug 18, 2008
I actually found the correct folder and performed the trashing method on the CS Preferences three different times, as well as the Option+Command+Shift Method, but none of these are doing any good. Seems as if there is something more to it. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Sam
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2008
Something/someone has saved the 200 ppi setting in these images, as long as the pixel size is the same the images are the same size just the ppi is different. this will only apply to Print images (placing in ID or Quark). This is not a big deal.
S
samsharpe
Aug 18, 2008
How do I change the PPI setting back? I work on deadline from sporting events, and my editors want it at 300dpi. To change each image in the field when I am working 40-50 images on a tight deadline becomes a real pain in the butt. I went to the image size window, but found nothing that was labelled "ppi". I really appreciate you guys helping me on this. I am really lost at this one. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Sam Sharpe
P
Phosphor
Aug 18, 2008
Image>Image Size>Resolution. With Resampling NOT checked, change that number to whatever you want. Hit OK.
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2008
Nobody reads post 2
S
samsharpe
Aug 18, 2008
OK……I just shot some images through the camera, and they are openning at 300dpi. Older images that I have shot through the same camera are still opening at 200dpi. I may have to learn to live with it, but I hope not. The suggestion that Ed has put forward, I am assuming has to be performed on each image, each time? Like I said, when in the field, this can eat up time. Hurricane Season is comming up, and I may have to make a trip to the Gulf Coast……I want to post images as fast as possible, and I really want my CS fixed. It would just be my luck this would go down in a storm! Any other ideas on a fix would be appreciated. If I have to live with it right now, I will. Thanks. Sam
CB
charles badland
Aug 18, 2008
Are you opening RAW files shot with your camera?
JP
jean_p
Aug 18, 2008
If you have a bunch of photos set at the wrong resolution, it is probably going to be easiest to create an action to reset the correct resolution, then run all the images through a batch process.

This is a one time thing, then it will be done.

Just be sure you reset the resolution without resampling. Save this action, then you’ll have it ready for quick use whenever you need it in the future. If you run it on a photo that doesn’t need it, it wont’ hurt anything.
S
samsharpe
Aug 18, 2008
I don’t think that the Images are set at the wrong resolution, they were shot at 300dpi to begin with. I am calling the images RAW, but in reality, they are "JPEG Fine" Never the less, they are streight out of the camera. I either drop the JPG into PhotoShop, or open it through PhotoMechanic, either way, it does the same thing. It is real "hit and miss" is what is so frustrating about it……….some of my old images open at 300dpi, but most open at 200dpi. No ryme or reason to it. I am currently shooting with a Nikon D300, but images that were shot with different cameras are doing the same thing. So frustrating! Thanks,
Sam
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2008
they were shot at 300dpi

PPI

read this <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb51427?50@@>
MH
Matt_Hartman
Aug 20, 2008
Ok this is really strange.

I have two images from Sam, and I’m trying to figure this out. Both images are identical as far as the camera, pixel size of the images and the Xresolution and Yresolution being 300. The pixel dimensions are 4288×2848 for both. The only difference is the exposure and the lense size. For one, PS opens the file and assigns it a 300 ppi resolution. Open the other, and assigns it a 200 ppi resolution.

How does PS determine what the opening resolution should be on an image? This is baffeling, because according to the EXIF data for both photos, the resolution and pixel dimensions are identical.

We all understand that PPI and DPI are really irrelevant and can be easily changed, but what makes photoshop determine that one should be 200 while the other 300? We are just looking for consistancy.

What we are fighting here is that copy editor that we are sending the photo to doesn’t want to take the time to assign the 300 ppi designation to the image, so it is important for PS to be consistent with how it’s working with the files.

I have PS CS3 on WIN, and Sam has PS CS1 on Mac, and both act the same way.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections