A
Posted By
Antony
Sep 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I don’t think it’s hardware related Gary. Could it be that your monitor-profile on the MacBook is set to Gamma 1.8 or 2.2 and on the MacPro it’s something different, like L*…?

Have you profiled your macs?

Anyhow know you know how to get rid of the grey boxes, it would be great if you could try it out and report back!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GP
Gary_Politzer
Sep 7, 2008
Your solution is too complex for me, and I am afraid to try it because I don’t understand it. What is L*? I use Gamma 2.2, D65. The Mac Pro is using an old profile that was generated by the laptop using the same 30" Apple Cinema Display that is currently hooked to the Mac Pro, because I have been too busy to make a new profile yet. Will do soon.
L
Lundberg02
Sep 8, 2008
Your link shows a German version in grey scale. What is abnormal about it?
R
Ram
Sep 8, 2008
Lundberg02,

If you look closely, there are faint, slightly darker rectangles around or behind the buttons and the labels.

I missed them at first too.
A
Antony
Sep 8, 2008
Gary, you DON’T want to use the same profile with a different graphics card.

Lundberg, if you don’t see them your display needs profiling. They are very obvious on my ACD.

Ok, I’ll try to simplify:

If you see grey boxes in the Photoshop interface (or any app for that matter).

– Profile (calibrate) again and use a Gamma-setting of 1.8 – they’re gone

– If you use Gamma 2.2 the boxes might still be there but barely noticable

– If you don’t want to use a fixed Gamma-setting (but L*) you’ve to replace Leopards ‘Generic RGB Profile’ in the system-folder with an ICC file that supports that (like eciRGB or L-Star-RGB). You just rename it in Finder, open it in ‘ColorSync Utility’ and also change the name inside. Save, replace, restart, done.

NO MORE BOXES (it’s a Leopard bug)
GP
Gary_Politzer
Sep 8, 2008
you DON’T want to use the same profile with a different graphics card.

Thanks for clarifying that. And here I was thinking since the profile was for the display, it wouldn’t matter.
L
Lundberg02
Sep 8, 2008
Now I see them, with a magnifier. What was the problem again, doing something screwy and expecting a normal result?
JP
jean_p
Sep 8, 2008
Antony, I just saw this on a Strata 3D dialog. So I was right the first time: I have seen it in apps besides Photoshop. 😉
A
Antony
Sep 9, 2008
Strata 3D makes sense. Every application that uses the monitor-profile to draw it’s interface will be concerned. You can also see it in GraphicConverter, I’m sure some video-apps.

What’s funny is that you would expect Illustrator to show the same behaviour but I guess Photoshop is more aggressive in taking over the colours.

Also, I talked to my pro-profiling-guys and they said it’s a good way to deal with this issue, there are no CM problems to be expected. Thought I’ll let you know. Let’s hope for the best.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Sep 9, 2008
Jackin’ with your default system profile within the system folder of OS X. This is the very folder every user of this operating system relies upon to be untouched and in pristine condition.

Yeah, I see no future troubleshooting issues up the road with that approach.

Why not go to the source of the cause like the calibrator manufacturer and Apple or express your concerns posting on the Colorsync mailing list:

<http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/colorsync-users>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections